This information is part of the Champaign County ILGenWeb Project. If you have reached this site by means other than The USGenWeb Project, The ILGenWeb Project, or directly, please visit the main Champaign Co, ILGenWeb site for more information regarding Champaign County, IL ancestors. Information contained here was transcribed by John Shaffer. Please do not repost this information without the express written permission of Celia Snyder.

Champaign County, Illinois

Biography of Paris Robinson

SOURCE: "Portrait and Biographical Album of Champaign County, Illinois," Chapman Brothers, Chicago, 1887


PARIS ROBINSON, the leading hardware merchant and tinner of Philo Village, established his business there in August, 1877, which he has followed continuously since that time, and has built up a thriving and profitable trade. He carries a full line of everything necessary in an agricultural community and a country town, and is prominently identified with the business interests of this section. In former years he was engaged as a farmer in Sidell Township, Vermilion County, this State, and still owns a good farm there of 160 acres, finely improved, with first-class drainage, being well tiled. His life has been one of industry and energy and he is a fair representative of the prosperous element of Champaign County.

Our subject is a native of Jeffersonville, Fayette Co., Ohio, and was born Nov. 27, 1848. He is the son of Singleton ROBINSON, a native and farmer of the Buckeye State, who was reared in Fayette County and there married Miss Ann JANES, of Virginia. The mother of our subject removed with her parents from the Old Dominion when a young child, and located with them in Fayette County, Ohio, where they followed farming until the father retired from active labor. He is still living, having arrived at the advanced age of seventy-eight years. The mother died in 1857. The household included four sons and three daughters, of whom one of the latter died in infancy.

Mr. Robinson was the third son and fourth child of his parents, and received his education in the public schools of his native county, remaining under the parental roof until the second call for troops to put down the Rebellion. He was greatly opposed to slavery, and with the hope of being able to assist in its abolition, cheerfully took upon himself the duties of a soldier, with its attendant hardships and dangers, becoming a member of Co. C, 90th Ohio Vol. Inf., commanded by Capt. Black, of the Army of the Cumberland. He was in the battle of Stone River, and at the first attack was wounded in the breast by a piece of shell, in consequence of which he was confined in the hospital a brief time. After his recovery he was appointed Orderly by Col. Sweet, and retained this rank until his honorable discharge in July, 1865.

After the war Mr. Robinson returned to Ohio, whence he came to Vermilion County, this State, in 1868. Four years later he was married to Miss Carrie MANDEVILLE, their wedding occurring at the residence of Henry Michener, Nov. 19, 1872. Mrs. R. was born in Seneca County, N. Y., April 19, 1850, and was the daughter of Elijah and Hulda (BENTON) MANDEVILLE, who removed to the West when she was fourteen years of age. They located in this County, and the mother died in Champaign, Ill. Mr. M. survived his wife a number of years, and died at the home of his son, in about 1886. Mrs. R. received a good education and became a teacher in the public schools of this county. Of her marriage with our subject there were born four children, one of whom died when an infant. Those surviving are Glenn, Jessie and Willis. Our subject is a stanch adherent of the Democratic party, and Mrs. Robinson is a consistent member of the Presbyterian Church.

Return to Links Page

Return to Main Page