This information is part of the Champaign County ILGenWeb Project. If you have reached this site by means other than The USGenWeb Project, The ILGenWeb Project, or directly, please visit the main Champaign Co, ILGenWeb site for more information regarding Champaign County, IL ancestors. Please do not repost this information without the express written permission of Celia Snyder.

Champaign County, Illinois

Timeline

Date -- Event

1765 France ceded these prairies to England.
1775 First official notice of the Illinois Country by the Continental Congress, which created of the country Illinois one of three Indian departments.
1784 England ceded these prairies to the United States.
1809 Illinois constituted a separate territory by act of congress.  "Not without thy wondrous story Illinois, Illinois, Can be writ the nation's glory, Illinois, Illinois."
1812 Illinois was empowered, by Act of Congress, to elect a Territorial Legislature.
1818 The boundaries of Illinois established by Act of Congress.
1818 Illinois admitted into Union.
1819 The Indian's title to these lands ended.  Shemaugre, an Indian Chief, was born on the site of Urbana.  His name was affixed to some treaties with the U.S. Government.  The Kickapoos claimed this land by descent from their ancestors, by conquest from the Iroquois
1821 These prairies were surveyed.
1823 First corn cracker mill erected by James D. Butler.
1823 First corncracker mill built by J. D. Butler.
1824 Date of Henry Sadorus locating in Champaign Co.  An Indian Chief and his braves once gave a series of war dances in token of friendship for the Sadorus family.
1826 John Light was appointed first constable in Champaign County, then a part of Vermilion County.
1826 Only two voting precincts in Champaign county.
1828 First furrow turned in county.
1828 First settler, Runnel Fielder, in Urbana.
1828 First orchard planted in Champaign County.
1829 The first window glass was brought to Champaign county
1830 First white settler died.
1832 First school house built near Urbana.  The windows were many and small, greased paper was used instead of window glass.  Asahel Bruer, teacher.
1832 In 1832 Henry Sadorus and wife gave a party of three days; the raising of a log barn on the part of the men and to 'quilt' two bed quilts on the part of the women, aside from the cooking.
1832 Beginning of the organization of Champaign County.
1832 Only two school houses in the county.
1832 Meeting of the Eighth General Assembly.
1833 First court held in Urbana was in an old log stable owned by Colonel Busey
1833 Champaign Co. was created.  John F. Richardson of Clark Co., James P. Jones of Coles Co., and Stephen Shelleday of Edgar Co., were appointed and changed with the duty of locating the county seat, to be named Urbana.  Two hickory trees on the public square
1833 First County Commissioners elected in Urbana-Isaac Busey and George Akers.
1833 First deed recorded in Champaign County.
1833 Isaac Busey, Matthew Busey and W. T. Webber gave 33 acres of land for county purposes.
1833 Record of the location of the town of Urbana made by W. T. Webber, Clerk of County Commissioners.
1833 The business center of Champaign was one vast pond where the mud turtle and water moccasin luxuriated; the mosquito wound his bugle and the frogs gave a rival symphony. [copied from a manuscript.]
1833 The first marriage license issued by clerk of Champaign County to Malinda Busey and John Bryan.  The officiating magistrate was Moses Thomas.
1833 First license to sell goods and merchandise granted to J. H. Alexander of Urbana.  Goods brought from Philadelphia by railroad, boat, oxcart and wagon.
1833 A Meteoric Shower. "Stars fell."
1833 The last of the Kickapoos immigrated to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.
1833 Wm. T. Webber located in Urbana Township.  He donated 20 acres of land upon which the city of Urbana was founded.
1834 First tavern opened in Urbana by Israel Knap.
1834 Henry Sadorus made the first entry of land in Champaign County.  At this time no matches to be had; fire only possible by flint and steel.
1835 F. L. Scott settled on the Sangamon.  The trail between this settlement and Urbana was so very circuitous that he took a plow and team and ran a straight furrow to Urbana.  Along the line of this furrow was formed the Bloomington Road.
1835 An horse grist mill was made equal to 15 bushels an hour, built by John Brownfield.
1836 Order given for building first court house, to be made of hewn logs 24 feet long
1836 Isaac Busey and Jonathan Osborn were appointed to locate a state road from Urbana to Bloomington.  Mr. Osborn was granted a license to keep a ferry on the Sangamon where the state road crossed it.  Rates for ferrying:  one may 6 1/4 cents, one horse 6 1/4
1837 Some Land Grants signed by Martin Van Buren were recorded at the Court House (in Urbana).
1839 Dr. John S. Sadler was the first physician in Urbana, excluding the Medicine Man of the Kickapoo Indians.
1839 Peter Cartwright preached in the big grove, near Sadorus
1840 The first M. E. Church built in Urbana.  The lot cost three dollars.  The church was 30x40 feet.
1841 First brick house built in Urbana.
1841 The first hotel was built and owned by a Mr. Bruer, called the Urbana House.
1850 First steam mill built.
1850 Several old land grants were filed in the recorder's office at the Court House, signed by Millard Fillmore.
1850 The flaxbrake, hetchel and flax wheel, hand cards, spinning wheel and hand loom were found in almost every house.
1850 First Presbyterian Church organized.
1850 Legislature granted 3,000,000 acres of land to the Illinois Central railroad company.
1851 A stalk of the new plant called the Chinese Sugar Cane brought into the office of Urbana Union-Now known as Sorghum.
1851 Election held in Urbana.  Voted 25 to 1 Urbana town be incorporated.
1852 B. F. Harris organized a Sunday School on his farm.  He carried the Sunday School Library books in a red bandana handkerchief every Sunday from his house to the Sunday School.  A. O. Howells carried his books in a candle box in a new spring wagon.
1852 First issue of the Urbana Union-W. N. Coler and H. K. Davis, editors and proprietors.
1852 First tin ware made in Urbana by W. H. Jaques.
1852 First Fair held in court house square.
1853 Prior to this date the Pioneers "took to the woods" for location, shelter and water.
1853 Depot buildings of Illinois Central Railroad commenced.
1853 Congregational Church organized at home of Moses P. Snelling with a membership of seven.  In 1855 they built their first church, known as the Goose Pond church, 24x40 feet not including belfry.  Covenant and creed adopted.
1853 Champaign against the world.-Taken from the New York Tribune.  The best lot of common blooded cattle on exhibition at the World's Fair, were those taken to the New York market by B. F. Harris of Champaign county, Ill.-Urbana Union.
1853 Mark Carley came to Champaign and built the first frame dwelling house.
1853 For eight months A. P. Cunningham served as post master without the honor of a commission; he brought all the mail from Urbana to West Urbana, for the laborers on the I. C. R. R.
1854 First school house built in West Urbana.  School taught by Dr. Shoemaker
1854 National House was built; the first one in West Urbana.
1854 A. O. Howells organized a Sunday School in Urbana.
1854 The first train passed over the Illinois Central R. R. from Chicago to West Urbana.
1854 Carrying mail from Chicago to Urbana by railroad.  Carrying by stage coach abandoned.
1854 Illinois Central Lands put on sale.
1854 John C. Baddeley opened a store at the depot.
1854 Abraham Lincoln delivered one of his famous speeches in the Lincoln-Douglas debates, in Urbana.
1854 Prairie fire occurred over ground now occupied by Champaign.
1855 John C. Baddeley was appointed first postmaster, office kept at his store on Neil Street.  Later the postoffice was moved to the East Side and soon after Mr. McAlister was appointed postmaster and held the position 25 years.
1855 Archa Campbell elected first mayor of Urbana.
1855 Our complements to Mr. J. O. Cunningham and lady, respectfully solicit the pleasure of your company at our home, on Tuesday, January 1st at 7 o'clock p.m. Mr. and Mrs. J. Campbell.  (Copy of an old invitation.)
1855 Wm. J. Foot began the manufacture of brick.
1855 First Fair grounds were four blocks south of court house.
1856 First bank called the Grand Prairie Bank, opened for business on the east side of the track.
1856 The citizens of Champaign County requested to meet at Urbana to appoint a delegate to the State Anti-Nebraska Convention.  A barbecue followed meeting.
1856 Abe Lincoln spoke in the Goose Pond Church.
1856 No. 1, vol. 1, Our Constitution issued.
1856 Political meeting held at urbana, followed by a barbecue, and although several animals were cooked the food supply ran out.  Abraham Lincoln sat at the head of the long table.
1856 An emergency meeting called to provide the salary for the pastor of Goose Pond Church.  $350 and a yoke of oxen, raised; "and that, too, within our own membership."
1856 Republican party born.  Democrats were always here.
1856 Presbyterian Church built in Champaign.
1856 A herd of sixty deer wre counted in a single line near the Sangamon timber.
1857 Central Illinois Gazette printed its first paper.
1857 The village of West Urbana was organized by vote of the people.  In 1861* the name was changed to Champaign.
1857 The beaux and belles of Urbana and West Urbana contemplate going on a picnic excursion to Linn Grove on Saturday next, provided the mercury is not below zero.
1857 The first Teachers' Institute met in Urbana.  Pres. T. R. Leal, the only republican in the township.  Mr. Leal introduced blackboards into the schools.
1857 First trial of reapers was held five miles west of Urbana on the "Arthur farm"-Col. Robt. Stuart, Chairman, M. L. Dunlap, Secretary.
1858 Lutheran church built.
1858 The Young Men's Literary Association will discuss License or No License at the Goose Pond Church.
1858 The Grand Prairie Bank was discontinued and the business was conducted by the Cattle Bank.
1858 The School Commissioners called a meeting to consider the question of Public Schools-held at the Goose Pond Church.  The meeting was for both sides of the track.
1858 The Urbana woolen factory put in operation.
1858 Voted no license in West Urbana by 48 majority.
1858 J. G. Clark and J. B. Porterfield obtained the contract from I. C. R. R. to furnish ties, and did so for 10 years for the line south from West Urbana.
1858 Mrs. Fletcher opened a Young Ladies Institute on Neil Street.
1858 M. R. Dunlap settled at Rural Home; planted an orchard; set out a nursery and protected them by shelter belts of forest trees.
1858 Douglas and I for the first time this caucus crossed swords here yesterday; the fire flew some, and I am glad to know I am yet alive.  Extract of letter to J. O. Cunningham from Abe Lincoln.
1858 Senator Douglas (known as the "Little Giant") spoke in Urbana, introduced by A. E. Harmon of West Urbana.
1858 A Republican rally-Abraham Lincoln spoke in the Goose Pond Church.
1858 Beginning of sale of these swamp lands-"These prairies can never be anything but cattle ranges.  You must have fire wood."-Sold at $1.25 to $6.00 per acre.
1858 Hon. Owen Lovejoy gave a political address at the court house.
1858 Daniel Rugg came to Champaign.  He built the "Metropolitan block" in 1872.  He opened the first shoe store.
1858 The first marriage in St. Mary's Catholic Church-Patrick McCarty and Mary Graham.
1858 Sixty acres, lying midway between Urbana and West Urbana, were bought of the Busey heirs as an Exhibition Ground for the Agricultural and Mechanics Association.
1858 J. R. Scott's father came here from Kentucky, bringing his slaves with him.  Their little cabins were standing on the old Scott farm as late as 1872.
1858 J. P. White built old B. F. Harris house.
1858 Mr. E. O. Chester had his first and last case in September term of Circuit Court.  Abe Lincoln was lawyer for plaintiffs and lost his case.
1858 On the last day of the fair occurred a plowing match and a Ladies' riding match, the last open to all horsewomen of Illinois.
1858 J. G. Clark and Mr. Porterfield obtained the contract from the I. C. R. R. to furnish ties, and did so for 10 years for the entire line south of here.
1858 Wm. R. Arthur was made superintendent of the entire line of the I. C. R. R.
1859 First baptism in St. Mary's Catholic Church, Patrick, son of Cornelius Sullivan
1859 Champaign County Medical Society organized.  Drs. Howard, Mills and Miller attended the first meeting.
1859 Col. McCarty and Hon. Joseph Peters gave address at Bailey Hall.
1859 A trial of the Fawk's plow given.
1859 Memorial services of "Old Ossawatomie" Brown (John Brown) held in Congregational Church.
1860 The custom of making New Year's calls was inaugurated in West Urbana
1860 The charter members of the Urbana Street Railway Co. met
1860 Minchrod and Eppstein have one of Singer's Unrivalled Sewing Machines.  Any one wishing to see it work, may call.
1860 Trowser loons made by T. H. Roby are warranted not to sag, split, hitch up, rip, or bulge at the knee.  "Peg tops are all the go."
1860 A donation party was held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. E. O. Chester in West Urbana for the benefit of the Rev. Mr. McKinley.
1860 A mass meeting was held at the Little Brick Schoolhouse for the purpose of adopting a name for the township.  Dr. C. H. Mills drew up the resolution to name it Champaign.
1860 From minutes of town meeting:-Dr. J. W. Scroggs moved that the name of West Urbana be retained.  J. P. Gauch amended the motion, that the name be changed to Champaign.  Adopted by vote 36 to 21.
1860 The first mill used in the "Old Town" was made of a short section of an hollow log enclosing an upper and nether millstone, capable of grincing out one bushel an hour.
1860 Central Illinois Gazettementions new magazines, Harpers, Atlantic and Knickerbocker.
1860 Henry Swannell opened a drug store in Champaign.
1860 I. G. Eli made the first buggy body ever made in Champaign Co.
1860 E. T. McCann was appointed the first mayor of Champaign.
1861 Col. J. S. Wolfe mustered into the army for three years.
1861 Abraham Lincoln authorized Col. Coler to organize the 25th regiment of Illinois Volunteers.  Col. Coler first commander, T. D. Williams second, C. P. Ford third, R. D. Nodine fourth, and last, for whom Nodine Post was named.
1861 J. S. Wolfe was the first man in Champaign County to enroll as a soldier in the 20th Illinois Infantry, organized on above date.  Company A-J. S. Wolfe captain, Daniel Bradley first lieutenant, G. W. Kennard second lieutenant.
1862 Governor Yates commissioned S. T. Busey to recruit a company.
1862 The 73d Infantry recruited from Champaign county.
1862 Gov. Richard Yates appointed Dr. C. H. Mills surgeon of the 125th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
1863 Dutch Reformed Church built.
1863 Little Rebel church built.  Old Sammy Shaw gave the name on account of differences in politics.
1863 First street car from Urbana to Champaign drawn by a pair of mules.
1863 A frost practically ruined the corn, which rose in price from twelve cents to one dollar a bushel.  The next morning B. F. Harris seeing the situation bought most of the corn between here and Bloomington.
1863 First National Bank established.  B. F. Harris was made president in that year.
1864 Joseph Kuhn opened a clothing emporium.  "Kuhn positively refuses specie payment for goods."
1865 The Industrial College Bill passed the house by vote of 45 to 34.
1865 Col. J. S. Wolfe mustered out of the army after four years and two months of service.
1865 Land grant signed by Andrew Jackson.
1865 The 25th regiment of Illinois volunteers organized and commanded by residents of the twin cities mustered out.
1865 Urbana Commandery No. 16 Knights Templar organized.
1866 First number of the Champaign County Journal published in Urbana
1866 Park Street Congregational Church dedicated.
1866 First Public Library organized in Champaign.
1867 The Trustees of the University have selected as Regent, The Hon. John M. Gregory.
1867 The first local trustees of the Industrial University were Dr. J. W. Scroggs, M. L. Dunlap and J. O. Cunningham.  The first meeting was held in the old University Building.  The first formal meeting was held at Springfield, Ill.
1867 Resolved, that the Illinois Industrial University be, and is hereby permanently located in Urbana, Champaign County, Illinois.
1867 The first stamped envelopes used here.
1867 Dr. Gregory preached the Thanksgiving sermon in the Congregational church-that being the only one large enough.
1867 A Mrs. Kent lectured on women's suffrage.
1867 The Champaign County Journal removed to Champaign under the name of Illinois Democrat.
1867 Busey Bros. Bank organized.
1867 First fire company organized.
1867 Burnham, Trevett & Mattis Bank organized.
1868 Rev. and Mrs. G. W. McKinley celebrated their 20th anniversary by a china wedding
1868 Frederick Douglas lectured here.
1868 A mass meeting was held at the Congregational church to plan for a public dinner, on the day of the inauguration of the Industrial University.  Another was held at Urbana for the same purpose.
1868 John B. Gough lectured on Peculiar People.
1868 The Industrial University opened with seventy-seven students, thirteen professors, four assistants, and with J. M. Gregory, L.L.D. as Regent.  Of these only two remain, Vice-President T. J. Burrill and Prof. S. W. Shattuck, in 1907.
1868 The first Literary Society of the University called The Adelphic was organized.
1868 Fire destroyed entire block between Market and Walnut streets and University Avenue.
1869 Valentine Baker shipped ice from Kankakee and began to supply the town.
1869 First use of gas in the city.
1869 Hon. Abel Harwood was a member of the convention that framed the present constitution of the State of Illinois.
1870 Hon. J. W. Langley chosen first State Senator from Champaign County.
1871 The County Horticultural Society met.
1871 Big Four shops established.
1872 The Illinois Democrat changed its name to Champaign Times.
1872 Rev. G. W. Pierce accepted a call to the Congregational Church.
1873 Park Street Congregational Church destroyed by fire.
1874 C. W. Gulick erects the first brick business building in Rantoul.
1874 Rantoul's first city building was built.  It was destroyed by fire in 1901; when rebuilt, it contained fire walls eight inches thick.
1874 David B. Stayton was appointed Township Supervisor of the St. Joseph Township, a post he was to hold for twenty-three years.
1874 Louisa Allen became the head of the new School of Domestic Art and Science at the Illinois Industrial University.  Although the experimental program lasted only six years, and was terminated upon the marriage of Miss Allen to University Regent John M. Gregory, it was the precursor of the School of Home Economics.
1874 The fourth township high school in the state was built in Tolono.
1874 July 31-The Urbana Free Library was organized as a part of the city government.  This was an outgrowth of a Library Association formed in 1872.
1874 Area libraries contained the following:  Rantoul, 1070 bound volumes, 11 magazines, 29 newspapers; Champaign, 800 volumes; Urbana, 1000 volumes, and over 30 magazines and newspapers.
1874 I. O. O. F. instituted by P. G. R.  G. W. Ravens of Ottowa, Ill.  Rev. S. K. Reed, Chaplain.
1875 The parent firm of Gogdal and Hobbs Real Estate was founded in Urbana by H. M. russell.
1875 Tandy Pritchard erected the first dwelling at Fisher.
1875 Wilke Emkes broke a section of nearby prairie south of Dillsburg, using two horses and a one-bottom plow.
1875 April 16-Notice was given of a Ku Klux Klan parade at the grove in Rantoul
1875 W. G. Parr started a wholesale business of pressing and shipping baled hay.
1876 The Illinois State medical Society met in Champaign-Urbana.  A move was initiated to enact a state medical practices act.
1876 Dr. E. C. Bartholow of Mahomet was elected t the state legislature.  He and his colleague, the Hon. R. W. Bower of Tolono, were instrumental in having the Illinois Medical Practices Act passed  in 1876/77.
1876 March 16-H. D. Corlies opened a drug store in Gifford, West and Collison opened a store, and Henry Flesner was named Gifford's first postmaster.
1876 W. B. Marvel opened a store and harness shop in Penfield.
1876 A Methodist church was built in Gifford.  The Baptist congregation shared the facility until they built their own church in 1888.
1876 Art Club of Champaign organized.  President, Mrs. Anna Clark, Vice President, Mrs. Jonathan Bacon.
1877 Henry Ward Beecher lectured at the University.
1877 The St. Joseph Methodist Church erected its first building; this structure burned in 1893.  The building which was erected to replace it the following year served until it in turn was replaced with a new building in 1915/1916.  This church served both the Mayview and St. Joseph congregations until 1942.  At that time, they were separated by mutual consent.
1877 A B'nai Brith chapter was organized in Champaign-Urbana.  Morris Lowenstern was one of the founders.
1877 June 17-The First Baptist Church in Penfield was organized.
1878 Rev. G. W. Pierce resigned his pastorate of Congregational Church.
1878 September 2-St. Mary's School opened in Champaign.
1879 January 16-The Illinois State Historical Society was organized.  Judge Joseph Cunningham of Urbana was a member of the first board of directors.
1880 The Rev. Thomas Keeting came to St. Mary's Catholic Church-Built St. Mary's Convent in 1885.
1880 The St. Joseph Church of Christ built its first building.  The present brick building was dedicated in 1909.
1881 February 25-The village of St. Joseph was incorporated.
1882 February 3-Smallpox cases were reported in Champaign.
1882 February 12-St. John's Lutheran Church in Royal was dedicated.
1882 August 21-Formal opening at the Champaign Opera House, formerly the Barrett house, was held.
1882 M. D. Coffeen, nephew of the earlier M. D. Coffeen who helped to establish Homer, opened a flouring mill there.
1882 Col. Nodine Post established.  Forty members.
1882 Champaign National Bank organized.  It was founded by Edward Bailey, who had been associated in the private bank of Bailey, Maxwell and Miller, and by his father, David Bailey, one of the founders of the First National Bank of Champaign.
1883 The Semi-Centennial Celebration of Champaign County held at Crystal Lake.
1883 Great ice and sleet storm.
1883 September 8-The first newspaper in St. Joseph was issued.  The St. Joseph Record, which later operated in St. Joseph for many years, was a descendant of this early newspaper.
1883 The University Place Christian Church was founded.  Their last church building was built in 1884 in the 600 block of West White Street, Champaign.  Their current building was dedicated in 1936.
1884 Franchise granted to the Water Co.
1884 Water ordinance passed.
1884 First pavement in Champaign laid on Main street.
1884 Rev. Thos. Keeting sold a tract of land just west of the track on Main St. which had been given to the Roman Catholic Church by Illinois Central R. R. Co., for $500.
1884 St. Mary's convent was erected in Champaign.
1884 Benjamin Gifford drained 7,500 acres of swampland in Champaign County by creating a system of thirty miles of drainage ditches.
1884 Attempts to establish a coal mine in Sidney at first appeared successful when a high grade of coal was struck.  However, the shaft repeatedly filled with water, and this, coupled with machinery breakdowns, caused the project to be abandoned.
1885 Loan Art exhibit held at the Little Brick schoolhouse for one week.
1885 First use of electric lights.
1885 The first bank in Sidney, Winston's Bank, was established by Miller Winston.  In 1911, the State Bank was organized.  In 1931, the two banks merged.
1885 The Exchange Bank was founded in Gifford by James M. Morse.  It was later incorporated as the Morse State Bank.  In 1950, the name was changed to the Gifford State Bank.
1885 The First Christian Church of Urbana was organized.  A church building was erected on Main Street in 1889.
1885 The name of the Illinois Industrial University was changed to the University of Illinois.
1886 First year book of Champaign Art Club published.
1886 Abe Bowers, one of five persons from the first graduating high school class of St. Joseph, entered the first class of the newly named University of Illinois.
1886 The post office at Royal was established.
1887 Sons of Veterans organized.
1887 Isaac Hess graduated from Champaign High School.  He became a leading merchant of Philo and an outstanding naturalist and ornithologist.  He gathered data on 104 species of birds within a ten mile radius of his home.
1887 Dr. C. D. Culver of Mahomet had a telephone line strung between his residence and his office.
1888 The Rev. Anthony Wagner took charge of St. Mary's church.
1888 Cornerstone of St. Mary's Church laid.  Church built by efforts of Rev. Anthony Wagner.
1888 St. Mary's Catholic Church dedicated by Bishop Spaulding.
1888 Jonas Lester got a contract from the village of Mahomet to gravel Main Street from Ford's corner to Geiger's corner.
1889 Electricity came to Homer.
1890 Constitution of Art Club adopted.
1890 Electric car made first trip.
1890 The Penfield Methodist Episcopal Church (now the Penfield United Methodist Church) erected a church building which is still in use today.
1890 The Broadlands Boardinghouse was built to serve hired hands working on nearby farms.  The second floor once housed the first school in Broadlands.
1891 St. T. Busey began his term as a member of Congress.
1892 Australian Ballot system first used.
1893 A bell was installed in St. John's Lutheran church in Royal.  The bell is still rung on Saturday evenings to prepare parishioners for the Sabbath.
1893 Sidney's first concrete walk was built by J. W. Bocok.
1894 First child born in the faith of St. John's Church, name Margareth Ludowica Obenlanet.
1894 April 6-The Twin City Ice and Cold Storage Co. commenced the manufacture of ice and distilled water.
1894 Oil lights were placed in the business district and residential areas of St. Joseph.  It was not until 1912 that the village had electric street lights.
1894 Gifford's business district burned.  In less than three hours, twenty businesses were destroyed, including two grain elevators.
1894 Rev. C. Steurer first resident priest of St. John's Catholic Church.
1895 The original franchise granted to the Home Telephone Company.  Telephone service began in 1899.
1895 Julia F. Burnham Hospital opened.  In 1920, it became the city hospital.
1895 Parochial House built under Rev. Anthony Wagner.
1895 Cunningham Deaconess Home opened.
1896 Hotel Beardsley opened; on the same spot once stood the first hotel built in Champaign, called the Dean House; later known as the Olive House.
1896 A gavel, made from a portion of the flag staff on the Woman's Building at World's Fair 1892-3, presented by Mrs. Anna Clark to the Champaign Art Club.
1896 The Epicurean Club organized.
1896 Mahomet school principal C. A. Pricer was paid $70 for a nine month term.  Teachers' salaries ranged from $35 to $45.
1897 Death of A. C. Burnham, who came to Champaign in 1862.
1897 The Home women's Club was organized at the Tuesday Club.
1897 Dr. C. B. Johnson was appointed a member of the State Board of Health and was president for three years.
1898 First May-pole dance at the University.
1898 The St. Lawrence Church in Penfield was organized, as an independent parish.
1898 July 12-Champaign's Doane House was destroyed by fire.
1899 A depot for the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago, and St. Louis (Big Four) Railroad was built on Broadway Street in Urbana.  It is now the Station Theater.
1899 The Grace Methodist Church organized in Urbana.  Their first building was the old creamery and cheese factory on East Main.
1899 The Society celebrated its 40th anniversary.
1900 Presbyterian Church celebrated its 50th anniversary.  Rev. C. N. Wilder preached the sermon.
1901 Memorial services to the late President McKinley.
1901 Interurban cars run to Danville.
1904 B. F. Harris, now a veteran of more than 92 years, still keeps up his reputation as a producer of the best beef cattle.-Champaign Times.

Back to Main Page