This information is part of the Champaign County ILGenWeb Project. If you have reached this site by means other than The USGenWeb Project, The ILGenWeb Project, or directly, please visit the main Champaign Co, ILGenWeb site for more information regarding Champaign County, IL ancestors. Information contained here was submitted by Celia G. Snyder. Please do not repost this information without the express written permission of Celia Snyder.

Champaign County, Illinois

Old Number Four

The school was located on a one-half acre site east of Urbana near the District 10 State Police headquarters. The school was used for east Urbana children who were too small to walk into town to attend Webber School. The children were "graduated" from old Number four when they reached the fifth grade and then would walk, ride a bike or have their parents take them to Webber. The school had 19 pupils in 1st and 2nd grades in 1949-50. In 1951 new additions were completed at Washington, Webber and Hays schools and it was decided to close Old Number Four. Students north of route 10 were sent to Washington School and the rest to Webber. The school was sold at auction on January 20, 1962.


Back to Main Page