This information is part of the Champaign County ILGenWeb Project. If you have reached this site by means other than The USGenWeb Project, The ILGenWeb Project, or directly, please visit the main Champaign Co, ILGenWeb site for more information regarding Champaign County, IL ancestors. Information contained here was submitted by Celia G. Snyder. Please do not repost this information without the express written permission of Celia Snyder.

Champaign County, Illinois

Biography - C. S. Morehouse

SOURCE: "Early History and Pioneers of Champaign County, Illinois," by Milton W. Mathews and Lewis A. McLean, editors of the Champaign County Herald, published by the Champaign County Herald, 1886

SURNAMES: MOREHOUSE, SMITH, CONKLING


C. S. MOREHOUSE - Mr. Morehouse, who has been engaged in the mercantile business in Champaign since 1864, is a native of Niagara county, New York, where he was born December 13th, 1840. His grandfather emigrated from New Jersey to western New York. His father, D. L. MOREHOUSE, was born in Orleans county, New York, and married Mary A. SMITH. The subject of this sketch was the third of six children. In 1843, his father moved to Wyoming county, New York, and carried on a flouring, saw and shingle mill near the town of Warsaw, and at the same time engaged in farming. Mr. Morehouse obtained his education in the schools of Warsaw, which he attended till eighteen years of age. In 1858, his father removed to Bloomington, Illinois, and there engaged in the mercantile business. Mr. Morehouse was clerk in this store three years and then went into partnership with his father, and opened a store at Leroy. In 1864, he came to Champaign and began the dry goods business as a member of the firm of Morehouse, Conkling & Co. On the dissolution of this firm in 1868, he bought out C. P. Raymond, and engaged in the dry goods business on his own account. In 1870, he bought the stock and succeeded the firm of Beasley Brothers, and in 1871, bought out Major G. W. Kennard, and has since been closely identified with the business interests of Champaign. Though a young man, he is one of the oldest merchants of the city, and with one exception, has been engaged in the dry goods business longer than any other man. He has endeavored to conduct business on fair and liberal principles, and his store is one of the popular institutions of the county. He was married in September, 1863, to Julia A. CONKLING, daughter of Stephen CONKLING, a former merchant of Leroy; she was born at Mr. Vernon, Ohio. In politics he has been a member of the Republican party, though his attention has been so closely devoted to business that he has taken no active part in political matters except to discharge such duties as belong to every American citizen. He is a member of the Methodist church, and a gentleman, who has acquired an excellent reputation as a careful, systematic and liberal business man.


Back to Index

Return to Main Page