This information is part of the Champaign County ILGenWeb Project. If you have reached this site by means other than The USGenWeb Project, The ILGenWeb Project, or directly, please visit the main Champaign Co, ILGenWeb site for more information regarding Champaign County, IL ancestors. Information contained here was submitted by Judy Simpson. Please do not repost this information without the express written permission of Celia Snyder.

Champaign County, Illinois

Biography - Claiborne Haworth

SOURCE: "History of Champaign County, Illinois with Illustrations," 1878

SURNAMES: HAWORTH, MILLS, WILLIAMS


CLAIBORNE HAWORTH is a native of the state, and was born in Vermillion county, March 16th, 1837. Both his father, David HAWORTH, and his mother, Miriam MILLS, were natives of Tennessee, and in 1822 emigrated to Illinois, and settled in Vermillion county, where they were married. The subject of this sketch was the second of eleven children. He was raised in Vermillion county, attending the ordinary district schools. His father's house was his home until he was twenty-five years of age. November, 1861, he married Esther WILLIAMS, who was born and raised in Belmont county, Ohio. Her father, Daniel WILLIAMS, emigrated to Illinois soon after 1850, and settled first in Vermillion county, and afterward in the Hickory Grove in what is now Ogden township. The same fall in which his marriage occurred, Mr. Haworth began improving a farm in section 27 of Stanton township, on which he moved in the spring of 1862. At that time there were but few persons living in that part of the township. He now has a farm of 160 acres, with a substantial and tasteful residence, a view of which appears elsewhere in this work. He has four children, Phillis, Albert, Charles and Annie. In politics he has been a Republican. His ancestors were members of the society of Friends from the time they became residents of Tennessee. Mr. Haworth is a member of Stanton meeting, whose house of worship is the only Friends' meeting-house in Champaign county, and stands adjoining his farm.


Back to Index

Return to Main Page