This information is part of the Champaign County ILGenWeb Project. If you have reached this site by means other than The USGenWeb Project, The ILGenWeb Project, or directly, please visit the main Champaign Co, ILGenWeb site for more information regarding Champaign County, IL ancestors. Information contained here was submitted by Judy Simpson. Please do not repost this information without the express written permission of Celia Snyder.

Champaign County, Illinois

Biography - Charles B. Johnson

SOURCE: "History of Champaign County, Illinois with Illustrations," 1878

SURNAMES: JOHNSON, LEWIS, VOLUNTINE


Dr. CHARLES B. JOHNSON was born near Pocahontas, Bond county, Illinois, on the 8th of October, 1843. His grandfather, Charles JOHNSON, was one of the earliest settlers of that county. He came from Tennessee with his family about 1819. His father, James JOHNSON, engaged in farming. He married Miss Elizabeth J. VOLUNTINE, about 1830. She was also a native of Tennessee. The family on both sides came originally from North Carolina. In the family of James Johnson there were seven children, five of whom have survived the father. In 1849 he went to California, and died there. The mother is living, and a resident of Kansas. At the age of nineteen, Charles B. enlisted as a private in Co. F, 130th Illinois Infantry, Col. Niles commanding. It was attached to the army of the Tennessee, under Gen. Grant, and participated in the campaign and siege of Vicksburg, and afterwards was transferred to the army of the Gulf, under Gen. Canby, also took part in the Mobile campaign. During his term of enlistment, he was promoted to the position of Hospital Steward. He was mustered out and honorably discharged September 25th, 1865. After returning from the war he studied medicine, and took his first course at Ann Arbor, Michigan, in 1866 and 1867, and in 1872 was graduated from the Ohio Medical College, at Cincinnati. He commenced the practice in Chatham, Sangamon county, Illinois, where he practiced his profession for two and a half years.

On January 25th, 1871, he removed to Crittenden township, in this county, and practiced for three years. 0n January 4th, 1874, came to Tolono, where he has since resided and practiced his profession. On the 1st of January, 1874, he married Miss Maria L. LEWIS, of Chatham, Sangamon county, Illinois, by whom he has two children.

In politics he is a Republican, and cast his first vote for U. S. Grant, in 1868, and has adhered to the fortunes of that party ever since.


Back to Index

Return to Main Page