This information is part of the Champaign County ILGenWeb Project. If you have reached this site by means other than The USGenWeb Project, The ILGenWeb Project, or directly, please visit the main Champaign Co, ILGenWeb site for more information regarding Champaign County, IL ancestors. Information contained here was submitted by Celia G. Snyder. Please do not repost this information without the express written permission of Celia Snyder.

Champaign County, Illinois

Biography - Jacob G. Chambers

SOURCE: "Portrait and Biographical Album of Champaign County, Illinois," Chapman Brothers, Chicago, 1887

SURNAMES: BEAVER, CHAMBERS, ROCK, RYMPH


JACOB G. CHAMBERS, M.D., who in 1882 abandoned the practice of his profession for the more congenial pursuits of farm life, is the possessor of a beautiful country estate located on section 11 of Sadorus Township. Here he has 480 acres of land, and a residence which would do credit to a modern city, being supplied with all the conveniences of life and the inventions which have contributed so much to the comfort of the household in its domestic relations. The dwelling stands in the midst of grounds finely laid out, and planted with choice shrubbery and shade trees, while the out-buildings in the rear are shapely and substantial. The fields stretch away on either side and in the summer season present a series of grain and pasture lands that are delightful to look upon. The Doctor devotes most of his attention to grain-raising, but has his farm well stocked with good grades of cattle and several fine horses. He may be readily pardoned for taking pride in his farm and household, while at the same time he possesses that liberal and public spirit which induces him whenever opportunity occurs to interest himself in whatever will benefit the community around him. The subject of our sketch is a native of the Empire State, born in Tompkins County in 1842. He is the youngest child of Joseph and Sarah (RYMPH) CHAMBERS, natives of Ulster County, N. Y., and spent his early years at home pursuing his first studies in the common schools. He was fond of his books and advanced rapidly, and when thirteen years of age entered the Classical Department of Hobart College, where he remained two years, and thence went into the Medical Department of the same. After a two years' course he was considered fully qualified to assume the duties of a physician, and began the practice of his profession in Tioga, Pa., where he remained until the 24th of June, 1864. He then entered the army as Surgeon, becoming a member of the 190th Pennsylvania Infantry, in which he served his country until the preservation of the Union had been assured. Dr. Chambers then returned to the Keystone State, where he resumed practice, but six months later removed to Watkins, N. Y. After practicing there two years he came to Illinois, locating in Douglas County in the spring of 1868. A year later he was married to Miss Anna ROCK, a native of this township, and the daughter of William and Nancy (BEAVER) ROCK, who resided on a farm in this county. Soon after their marriage the young people settled down in Sadorus, where our subject continued in practice for three years. In riding through the country from time to time, the green fields and the air of contentment pervading the rural districts bred within him a desire to change his occupation. Accordingly, in the spring of 1872, having secured a farm of 160 acres, one and one-half miles from the village of Sadorus, he became a member of the agricultural community, and commenced with energy the cuties of the new life before him. He has never had reason to regret the change, and in his various employments pertaining to the farm has been remarkably successful. The property of his wife and himself includes 480 acres, which constitutes the home farm, and is all under a fine state of cultivation. To the household of our subject and his wife there came in due time a little family of six children. George, the first born, died when eighteen months old; those surviving-William, Gertrude, Josephus, Clifton and Ralph-are at home with their parents. In 1869 the first residence was destroyed by fire. The following year another was erected which the family occupied until 1886, when it was abandoned to other parties, the Doctor and his family leaving it to take up their residence at their present home. Dr. Chambers has been prominent in the affairs of his township and is now serving his fourth term as Supervisor. He is Democratic in politics, and although not aspiring to office takes an intelligent interest in county affairs, and exerts his influence in electing the men best qualified to look after the interests of the people. He is not at present connected with any religious organizations, but Mrs. Chambers is a member and regular attendant of the Baptist Church. Socially the Doctor is a member of J. R. Gorm Lodge, A. F. & A. M., at Sadorus, and Sadorus Post, G. A. R., at the same place.


Back to Index

Return to Main Page