This information is part of the Champaign County ILGenWeb Project. If you have reached this site by means other than The USGenWeb Project, The ILGenWeb Project, or directly, please visit the main Champaign Co, ILGenWeb site for more information regarding Champaign County, IL ancestors. Information contained here was submitted by Celia G. Snyder. Please do not repost this information without the express written permission of Celia Snyder.

Champaign County, Illinois

Biography - Samuel Craw

SOURCE: "Portrait and Biographical Album of Champaign County, Illinois," Chapman Brothers, Chicago, 1887

SURNAMES: BROWN, CRAW, GRISWOLD


SAMUEL CRAW, a prominent farmer of Colfax Township, is a member of the family widely and favorably known in this section as valued factors of the farming and business community. Our subject is the owner of 260 acres of choice land, the greater part of which is devoted to stock-raising. His residence in this county dates from 1857, and he took possession of his present farm nine years later. His birth took place in the State of Vermont, March 4, 1836, and his parents were Allen and Lucy (GRISWOLD) CRAW, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work. The family came to Illinois in 1837, settling first in Greene County, where Samuel of our sketch grew to manhood and was bred to farming pursuits. In 1858 he accompanied his brother, George B., to Champaign County, and purchased 160 acres of land in Colfax Township. Upon this he farmed for two years, and in 1859 was married to Miss Eveline E. BROWN, a native of Ohio, and the daughter of Richard and Rebecca BROWN. After the birth of two children Mr. C. disposed of his property on section 24, and took possession of his present homestead, a view of which is shown in this connection. The family of our subject and his wife consists of four children-Charlie A., Richard, George and Eugene. They attend the Methodist Church, and our subject politically votes with the Republican party. Socially he is a member of the Masonic fraternity. When Mr. Craw came to this township there were only two houses between his land and the embryo village of Champaign. He was the third settler in Colfax Township, and is now the oldest one living of the pioneers. Among the few amusements which the early settlers engaged in were the deer hunts, which Mr. C. and one of his neighbors often engaged in, the latter having a five pack of greyhounds which gave aditional zest and excitement to the chase. Where the fleet-footed tenants of the wilderness used to roam, the iron horse now rushes from city to city, and the once untrodden prairie is now laid off in beautiful farms and valuable homesteads. Our subject has watched with pride and satisfaction the march of civilization and progress, and has contributed his full quota toward bringing about the present prosperous condition of Champaign County.


Back to Index

Return to Main Page