This information is part of the Champaign County ILGenWeb Project. If you have reached this site by means other than The USGenWeb Project, The ILGenWeb Project, or directly, please visit the main Champaign Co, ILGenWeb site for more information regarding Champaign County, IL ancestors. Information contained here was submitted by Celia G. Snyder. Please do not repost this information without the express written permission of Celia Snyder.

Champaign County, Illinois

Biography of C. W. Gulick

SOURCE: "History of Champaign County, Illinois with Illustrations," 1878

SURNAMES: CLAPP, GULICK


C. W. GULICK

Mr. Gulick, a leading merchant of Rantoul, was born at Norristown, Belmont county, Ohio, April 27th, 1836. When about fourteen his father moved with the family to Van Wert county in the western part of that State. Mr. Gulick became clerk in a store at Willshire in Van Wert county, and afterwards at Greenville in Darke county. In the year 1855 he traveled through the south with the object of benefiting his health, which had become impaired by close confinement in the store. He came to Champaign county, Illinois, in 1856. For about fifteen years he taught school mostly in Kerr township. In 1860 he bought one hundred and sixty acres of land in the southern part of Kerr township, and lived there till he came to Rantoul. He began business at Rantoul in 1869. For ninety days he managed a restaurant, and then embarked in the general mercantile business, which he has since carried on with success. In 1874 he began building the Gulick brick block, and completed his present large store in 1876. February 18th, 1860, he was married to Catherine C. CLAPP, a native of Vermillion county, Illinois. He has confined his attention mostly to business matters, and has taken no active part in politics. He is a member of the Republican party; is connected with the Methodist Church; and is a business man who enjoys a high reputation for integrity.


Back to Index

Return to Main Page