|This information is part of the Champaign County ILGenWeb Project. If you have reached this site by means other than The USGenWeb Project, The ILGenWeb Project, or directly, please visit the main Champaign Co, ILGenWeb site for more information regarding Champaign County, IL ancestors. Information contained here was transcribed by Celia Snyder. Please do not repost this information without the express written permission of Celia Snyder.
Champaign County, Illinois
Biography of Mahlon Glascock
SOURCE: "Portrait and Biographical Album of Champaign County, Illinois," Chapman Brothers, Chicago, 1887
SURNAMES: BISHOP, GLASCOCK, JESTER, POINTER, RANKIN, RECTOR, SPRINGER, STRONG
MAHLON GLASCOCK. The farm of 500 acres which occupies the greater part of section 24, in St. Joseph Township, invariably attracts the attention of the passing traveler on account of the evident skill and good judgment with which it has been managed, its general appearance of thrift and prosperity, and the industry without which it never could have been brought to its present beautiful and desirable condition. The history of the proprietor, whose name stands at the head of this sketch, is substantially as follows.
Mr. Glascock was born in Virginia, near the line of Fauquier and Loudoun Counties, on the 28th of December, 1815. He remembers his grandfather as George GLASCOCK, who by his first wife became the father of one child, who lived to manhood. His second wife was Miss Hanna RECTOR, who became the mother of five sons and three daughters. The Glascock family was originally from Scotland. Among the sons of George Glascock was Moses, who became the father of our subject. He was born in Virginia in 1770, and early in life married Miss Rebecca BISHOP. They removed from the Old Dominion to Ohio in 1828, settling in Ross County, where he remained as a moderate farmer until his death, in 1829. The mother survived her husband for more than forty years, her death taking place in Ross County, Ohio, in 18709, when about eighty-five years of age, she having been born in 1785.
The parental family consisted of ten children, six sons and four daughters, of whom eight are still living, namely, Solomon, Betsy, Ann; Catherine, the wife of William VAN BLECK; Mahlon, of our sketch, John R., Hamilton J. and James H.
The subject of this history was reared to manhood in Ohio, and there, in the spring of 1845, was united in marriage with Miss Hester A., daughter of Alex and Sarah (POINTER) JESTER, of Delaware. He located with his bride on a farm in Ross County, where he remained until the fall of 1854. Then, desiring to locate in the further West he came to this county and took possession of a part of the land which constitutes his present farm. It is hardly necessary to say that during a period of thirty years he has brought about a great improvement, taking advantage of all the modern implements, machinery, and information of which he could avail himself, and with a result in which he may be pardoned for feeling great pride and satisfaction. He has given much attention to stock-raising, making a specialty of Poland-China hogs, and in this department taking the lead in St. Joseph Township. He eliminated his fine farm from the raw prairie, and has fully experienced the difficulties and hardships of life in a new country.
Our subject was one of the early residents of this county, and as a man of more than ordinary ability, was soon called upon to assist in its government. He helped to organize the county into townships, and was Supervisor of St. Joseph during the war. He was always liberal-minded and large-hearted, willing to contribute of his time and means toward the advancement of the community and of those around him. He met with a severe affliction in the loss of his wife, Mrs. Hester Glascock, who departed this life in 1858.
In the spring of 1865 our subject was united in marriage with Mrs. Mary RANKIN, daughter of Ambrose and Mary (SPRINGER) STRONG, and widow of Samuel S. Rankin, of St. Joseph Township, this county. The children born of both unions of our subject are recorded as follows: Alex B., Aquilla, Frank, Jesse, Lyda B. and Addie A. are stil living, most of them at home with their parents. Albert William and Hanson are deceased. Mr. G. became a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at St. Joseph, in 1854, while his estimable wife is a member and regular attendant of the New-Light Church. Our subject early in life belonged to the old Whig party, but upon its abandonment cordially endorsed the principles of the Republicans, with whom he has since voted. He assisted in making William H. Harrison President of the United States, and has due affection for the old times and customs.
Return to Links Page
Return to Main Page