|This information is part of the Champaign County ILGenWeb Project. If you have reached this site by means other than The USGenWeb Project, The ILGenWeb Project, or directly, please visit the main Champaign Co, ILGenWeb site for more information regarding Champaign County, IL ancestors. Information contained here was transcribed by Celia Snyder. Please do not repost this information without the express written permission of Celia Snyder.
Champaign County, Illinois
Biography of Adolphus W. Hyde
SOURCE: "Portrait and Biographical Album of Champaign County, Illinois," Chapman Brothers, Chicago, 1887
SURNAMES: ABBOTT, BENNETT, CHOAT, CUNNINGHAM, DURBIN, HYDE, MOSS, NEAL, PEABODY
ADOLPHUS W. HYDE, one of the most extensive and successful farmers of East Bend Township, owns a tract of valuable land on section 25, which he has brought to a good state of cultivation and upon it erected a handsome and substantial set of frame buildings. He came on horseback to this State from Indiana, in 1850. After his marriage he located first in Switzerland County, Ind., whence he removed two years later to this county, making the journey with a pair of horses and wagon. He and his young wife the first year lived three miles east of Mahomet, and in the spring of 1853 came to the present site of Champaign, where our subject rented land, which is now included in the city limits and covered with dwellings. He remained in that vicinity until 1869, in the meantime having purchased a part of his present farm. It now contains 320 acres,, most of which was uncultivated at the time of purchase. The fields are now mostly enclosed with beautiful hedges and Mr. H. has embellished the ground around the residence by the planting of shade trees and choice shrubs. The barn and other outbuildings are of first-class description, and the stock and machinery well sheltered and cared for.
Mr. Hyde is a native of Allensville, Switzerland Co., Ind., his birth taking place Feb. 16, 1825. His father, Amasa HYDE, a native of Vermont, was born near Rutland in 1796. He was the son of Walter HYDE, a native of the same State. His father, t is supposed, was of English birth and parentage, and was one of the pioneer settlers of the Green Mountain State, where he spent the last years of his life. Walter Hyde removed from Vermont to New York when a young man, and thence to Indiana in 1835, where his death occurred about 1844, at the home of his son, in Switzerland County. He married, in Ontario County, N. Y., Miss Paulina BENNETT, a native of that county, born March 10, 1797. In 1818 they removed to Indiana, making the journey via the Allegheny and Ohio Rivers on a raft. He leased a tract of land in Switzerland County for a period of seven years, then purchased seventy acres in Cotton Township, of which fifty acres were cleared, and which he soon afterward sold at a good profit, and bought 160 acres of heavy timber, where he first put up a log cabin and proceeded to chop down the forest trees. The logs were rolled together and burned, and after being raked off the land was ready for the plow.
Amasa Hyde in the above manner prepared about 120 acres for cultivation, and in due time put up a good set of farm buildings. He was a man of influence and standing in his community, and after building up a good record as a citizen, neighbor, friend and father, departed this life on the 10th of February, 1864. The mother survived for a period of twenty-one years, and died at the home of her son, two miles distant from the old homestead, in November, 1885. The parental family included eleven children, of whom four died young and seven lived to mature years. William B. is resident of Polk County, Mo.; Samuel died in Switzerland County, Ind.; Adolphus W. of our sketch was the fourth child; Olive became the wife of William PEABODY, and died in East Bend Township in 1872; Wesley is a resident of Maples, Allen Co., Ind.; Albert occupies the old homestead.
Our subject was reared on his father's farm and educated in the pioneer schools. His first studies were conducted in a log cabin, ad he attended school principally in the winter season, the remainder of the year assisting to clear the land and till the soil. He remained under the parental roof until attaining his majority, and then in partnership with his brother, engaged in farming on a portion of the land belonging to his father. The operated together for three years, when our subject assumed the management of the homestead. Two years later he decided to locate in the Prairie State.
After having laid his plans for the establishment of a future home, Mr. Hyde, on the 6th of November, 1850, was united in marriage with Miss Sophia H. CHOAT. Mrs. H. was born in Posey Township, Switzerland Co., Ind., Jan. 25, 1828, on the farm of her father, Cautious J. CHOAT, and was reared to womanhood by her parents, with whom she remained until her marriage. Mr. Choat, a native of Vermont, was the son of Seth S. CHOAT, of Massachusetts, The latter located in Vermont at an early period in its history, whence he emigrated later to Indiana, and in 1850 to Illinois, where he spent the remainder of his life. His death occurred at the home of his daughter, Mrs. MOSS, in 1864. His son, Cautious J., the father of Mrs. Hyde, was about sixteen years old when his parents removed from Vermont to Indiana. He remained with them until reaching manhood, and was married in Switzerland County to Miss Elizabeth CUNNINGHAM. She also was a native of the Green Mountain State.
After marriage the young people remained in Switzerland County, Ind., until 1845, when they came to Illinois, and Mr. C. purchased a tract of land five miles south of the city of Peoria, upon which he located and remained until his death. The mother had died in Switzerland County, Ind., in 1835. The six children of Mr. and Mrs. Hyde are located as follows: Elizabeth C., the wife of George DURBIN, lives in Wolcott, Ind.; Peoria A. is the wife of Joseph NEAL, a prosperous farmer of East Bend Township, this county; Albert A. is a resident of Hoopeston, Vermilion Co., Ill.; Callie A. became the wife of James H. ABBOTT, and lives in Logan County, this State; Bruce A. and Lewis A. are at home with their parents.
Mr. and Mrs. H. became members of the Protestant Methodist Church in 1873, and have contributed liberally and cheerfully to the support of the society in their community since that time. Mr. Hyde was an adherent of the Whig party early in life, but on its abandonment by the organization of the Republican, cheerfully endorsed the principles of the latter, with which he has cast his vote continuously since that time.
Return to Links Page
Return to Main Page