This information is part of the Champaign County ILGenWeb Project. If you have reached this site by means other than The USGenWeb Project, The ILGenWeb Project, or directly, please visit the main Champaign Co, ILGenWeb site for more information regarding Champaign County, IL ancestors. Information contained here was transcribed by Celia Snyder. Please do not repost this information without the express written permission of Celia Snyder.

Champaign County, Illinois

Biography of Leonidas H. Howser

SOURCE: "Portrait and Biographical Album of Champaign County, Illinois," Chapman Brothers, Chicago, 1887

SURNAMES: DILLMAN, HOWSER, HUDSON, SAMPSON


LEONIDAS H. HOWSER. The Howser family has for some years constituted an important portion of the farming community of St. Joseph Township, being uniformly enterprising and prosperous, fortunate in their investments, and possessed of the intelligence and foresight so essential to good citizenship, and of which characteristics the home and sinew of a community must be composed in order to advance its prosperity.

The subject of this sketch, one of the most enterprising representatives of the name, was born in Clermont County, Ohio, June 29, 1846, and is the eldest son of Jonathan N. and Margaret J. (DILLMAN) HOWSER. He was a boy of ten years when his parents left the Buckeye State and became residents of this county, in 1856. His father purchased a tract of 240 acres on section 31, in St. Joseph Township, where he labored industriously, meeting with success, and where he still resides.

Mr. Howser attended school at Old Cowden school-house, not far from his father's farm, where he completed his education, and received those impressions which have largely ministered to his later success in life. He early began to form his plans for the future, and when in his twenty-second year, was united in marriage with one of his schoolmates, Miss Isabel, daughter of John HUDSON, of this county, who was born in Indiana, Nov. 7, 1846. After remaining the companion of her husband but seven short years, the wife and mother passed from earth, leaving two children, a son and daughter; William R. and Ollie May. In 1880 Mr. Howser was married to Miss Emma C. SAMPSON, a native of Illinois, and the daughter of Nelson SAMPSON, Esq., of Sidney Township. Of this union there has been born one child, a daughter, Edith B.

The residence of our subject is a handsome frame structure, finely located, and with attractive surroundings, including good out-buildings, shade trees, shrubbery and ample grounds. The farm embraces 200 acres of highly cultivated land, thoroughly drained with tile, provided with neat and substantial fencing, and all the necessary machinery required by the progressive modern farmer. A view of the place is to be seen on another page of this work. Mr. Howser has distinguished himself as a stock-raiser, dealing largely in hogs and cattle, numbers of which he fattens annually, and sends by the carload to the Eastern markets. Of late he has been giving considerable attention to the celebrated Belgian draft horses, being quite successful as a breeder, and able to exhibit some extraordinarily fine animals. He has in all respects proved one of the most valued members of the farming community, whose interests he has advanced by every means in his power, and being the encourager and supporter of every enterprise calculated to elevate the public mind and morals. Both Mr. and Mrs. Howser are acceptable members of the Olive Christian Church, in Philo Township, in which the former is Treasurer and the latter Clerk.

Return to Links Page

Return to Main Page