|This information is part of the Champaign County ILGenWeb Project. If you have reached this site by means other than The USGenWeb Project, The ILGenWeb Project, or directly, please visit the main Champaign Co, ILGenWeb site for more information regarding Champaign County, IL ancestors. Information contained here was transcribed by Judy Simpson. Please do not repost this information without the express written permission of Celia Snyder.
Champaign County, Illinois
Biography of John Rogerson
SOURCE: "History of Champaign County, Illinois with Illustrations," 1878
SURNAMES: ADAMSON, CANTINE, ROGERSON
JOHN ROGERSON was born in Perth, Ontario, Canada, December 18, 1832. He is of Scottish ancestry. His father, Wm. ROGERSON, was born in the Parrish of Wamphray, near Dumfries, Scotland, December 2, 1806, and came to Perth in 1827. Married Sarah Sinclair ADAMSON, August 31, 1831.
There were seven children in the family of whom John is the eldest.
Mr. Rogerson acquired the rudiments of his education in the school at Perth, and then entered the "High School" at Ottawa, where he remained seven years. After leaving school he became book-keeper for his father, who was in the lumber business. In 1849 he came to Chicago and assisted his father, who had contracted to construct a portion of the Chicago and Galena Union R. R. The next year they moved to Jacksonville, and in three years to Duncan, Michigan, dealing in lumber at the two latter places. In 1854 Mr. Rogerson acted as clerk on the steamer "Lady Elgin," between Buffalo and Chicago. About this time he took a trip around Lake Superior, a distance of 275 miles, in company with two Indians, all on snow shoes.
In 1855 Mr. Rogerson and his father came to Champaign and the latter engaged in the lumber business, and opened a store in connection with it, of which John acted as clerk.
At the same time, the old gentleman opened a store in Sadorus and appointed another son, Andrew, as clerk. John and Norman C. Wilson afterwards bought the Sadorus store and ran it till the old gentlemans death, which occurred August 3, 1856.
John was appointed administrator of his father's estate, and in the following spring reopened the Sadorus store, in which he was associated for a short time with his brother Andrew.
Mr. Rogerson continued the business at Sadorus, with some variations, for fifteen years.
He was united in marriage September 4th, 1856, to Miss Jacpuitine M. C. CANTINE, a native of New York, and daughter of J. J. C. CANTINE, a gentleman for some time prominently connected with public affairs at Washington. The marriage took place in Chicago.
Mr. Rogerson acted as agent for the Wabash R. R. for upwards of fifteen years, and was a Justice of the Peace for ten years; besides several minor offices.
He moved with his family upon the farm in Colfax township, where he still resides, on the first day of September, 1872. He has held the office of supervisor of that township for the past two years.
Possessing a fine business education, Mr. Rogerson has discharged the several duties devolving upon him, with promptness and fidelity.
He met with the misfortune this summer of having his fine farm residence and all its contents consumed by fire. He is not the man, however, to submit to adversity, but has gone to work with a will, and ere this reaches its readers the last dwelling will be replaced by one still more commodious.
Return to Links Page
Return to Main Page