This information is part of the Champaign County ILGenWeb Project. If you have reached this site by means other than The USGenWeb Project, The ILGenWeb Project, or directly, please visit the main Champaign Co, ILGenWeb site for more information regarding Champaign County, IL ancestors. Information contained here was transcribed by Celia Snyder. Please do not repost this information without the express written permission of Celia Snyder.

Champaign County, Illinois

Biography of J. M. West

SOURCE: "History of Champaign County, Illinois," by J. O. Cunningham, 1905

SURNAMES: ANDERSON, MCGEE, WEST


J. M. WEST, well-known farmer and stock-raiser residing on Section 2, Sidney Township, Champaign County, Ill., was born in Champaign County December 29, 1851, the son of James H. and Louisa V. (MCGEE) WEST, natives, respectively, of Kentucky and Missouri. They were early settlers of Champaign County, and followed farming in Sidney Township until 1853, when they moved to Vermilion County, Ill., where they made their home until 1881. The father died in Kansas in 1884, the mother's death having occurred in 1861.

The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm, and received his education in the district schools and at a high school at Ladoga, Ind. He owns 240 acres of good land, on which stands one of the finest brick farm residences in the county, with large barns and outbuildings, erected by himself, and having all modern improvements. He makes stock-raising and feeding an important feature of his business.

Mr. West has served as School Director for several years, and in religion, he is connected with the Christian Church, of which his wife is also an active member. On September 21, 1876, he was married to Annie M. ANDERSON, and they are the parents of two sons: James Harvey, a student in the University of Illinois; and Oliver Clyde, who is attending the district school.

Return to Links Page

Return to Main Page