This information is part of the Champaign County ILGenWeb Project. If you have reached this site by means other than The USGenWeb Project, The ILGenWeb Project, or directly, please visit the main Champaign Co, ILGenWeb site for more information regarding Champaign County, IL ancestors. Information contained here was transcribed by John Shaffer. Please do not repost this information without the express written permission of Celia Snyder.

Champaign County, Illinois

Biography of William Wilson

SOURCE: "History of Champaign County, Illinois with Illustrations," 1878

SURNAMES: FULTON, WILSON


WILLIAM WILSON, deceased, who established a permanent homestead in Raymond Township in the spring of 1866, and became one of the most highly respected citizens, was a native of County Armagh, Ireland, where he was reared to manhood and engaged in teaching until his marriage with Miss Martha FULTON, a native of County Tyrone, Ireland. After becoming the parents of three children they set sail for the New World in hope of bettering their condition and giving to their offspring those advantages which were denied them in their native country. They arrived in the city of New York in the fall of 1846, and after a residence there of eight months, came to this State. They remained here, however, only until 1849, when they returned eastward as far as Ohio, and took up their abode in Cincinnati. From there they removed to Springfield, and thence to near Urbana, Ohio. In 1856 they returned to Illinois and once more became residents of Vermilion County, where they remained until 1864, and in that year came into Champaign County.

William Wilson was a man of excellent education and had followed the profession of a teacher in his native Ireland before coming to the United States. He resumed his chosen calling in this country until about four years before locating upon his farm in Raymond Township. This included 240 acres of choice land, which he cultivated and supplied with good buildings, and where he spent the remainder of his days, his decease occurring in October, 1874, at the age of fifty-five years, ten months and twenty days. The faithful companion of his joys and sorrows still survives and is now seventy years old. She makes her home on the old home place.

William Wilson and his wife became the parents of nine children, of whom two daughters died in childhood and Martha J. when thirty years of age, March 25, 1883. There are yet living six sons, namely, George, William, Thomas, John, Henry and James. These, with the exception of John, who is living near Savoy, are farming in Raymond Township. Mr. Wilson proved himself a worthy and valued citizen and was held in high respect by all who knew him. Religiously he held to the belief of Episcopalian doctrines, and politically he was a stanch Democrat.

Return to Links Page

Return to Main Page