|This information is part of the Champaign County ILGenWeb Project. If you have reached this site by means other than The USGenWeb Project, The ILGenWeb Project, or directly, please visit the main Champaign Co, ILGenWeb site for more information regarding Champaign County, IL ancestors. Information contained here was transcribed by Ruth Ryan. Please do not repost this information without the express written permission of Celia Snyder.|
Champaign County, Illinois
Biography of August C. Singbusch
SOURCE: The Biographical Record of Champaign County, Illinois, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1900
SURNAMES: KRUEGER, SINGBUSCH, WASCHER
Mr. Singbusch was born in Germany, September 7, 1857, a son of Christ and Carolina (KRUEGER) SINGBUSCH, who, with their family, crossed the broad Atlantic in 1867, and took up their residence in Champaign, Illinois, where the father still lives. The mother died in 1892. He is a member of the German Evangelical church, to which she also belonged.
Our subject acquired his education in the schools of Champaign and began his business career as a clerk for Burnette & Company, dealers in leather and hides, with whom he remained two years, acquiring an excellent knowledge of business methods. At the end of that time he bought out H. D. Stoltey, who was then engaged in the grocery business where our subject is still located at No. 105 East University avenue. His store at first was quite small but during the ten years that followed, his business had grown so rapidly that he was obliged to double his floor space by taking in No. 107, thus making one of the largest grocery houses in the city. He was alone in business until 1890, when he formed a partnership with W. H. Stoltey, and the firm became Singbusch & Stoltey as it now stands. From the first he handled some queensware, to which he has kept adding until he now carries a large and well selected stock of valuable wares, as well as a fine line of staple and fancy groceries. The trade of the store has so increased that employment is now furnished seven people. This large and prosperous business has been built up by Mr. Singbusch in the last twenty years, and for the success that he has achieved he deserves great credit, for it is due entirely to his own perseverance, energy and good management. He now owns the building which he occupies, and which is forty feet front and sixty feet deep, all of which is devoted to his business.
In July, 1880, Mr. Singbusch was united in marriage with Miss Anna WASCHER, of Champaign, who was also born in Germany, and came to this country when a small child. They have two children, Arthur C., aged seventeen years, who is attending the high school of Champaign; and Elsa, who is also pursuing her studies there. The family have a pleasant home at No. 127 East University avenue. Mr. and Mrs. Singbusch are both members of the German Evangelical church, and he has held all of the official positions connected therewith and is one of its liberal supporters.
Since casting his first presidential vote, Mr. Singbusch has been identified with the Republican party, and was a member of the county and township executive committees during the McKinley campaign of 1896. About ten years ago he was first elected alderman from his ward and while in that office the city building was erected and considerable street paving done. Subsequently he was elected city treasurer and held that office for two years, during which time large funds passed through his hands. For four years he has also been township collector, and is still filling that position with credit to himself and to the entire satisfaction of the general public. In all the relations of life he has been found true to every trust reposed in him and well merits the confidence and trust so freely accorded him.
Return to Links Page
Return to Main Page