This information is part of the Champaign County ILGenWeb Project. If you have reached this site by means other than The USGenWeb Project, The ILGenWeb Project, or directly, please visit the main Champaign Co, ILGenWeb site for more information regarding Champaign County, IL ancestors. Please do not repost this information without the express written permission of Celia Snyder.

Champaign County, Illinois

Dr. Jacob George Chambers

Submitted by Greg Reese

The following is an excerpt from the Craw Genealogy, written by Eugene E. Craw, former resident of Sadorus, Champaign County, Illinois. This excerpt pertains to Dr. Jacob George Chambers of Sadorus, IL.

JACOB GEORGE CHAMBERS, son of Joseph and Sarah (Rymph) Chambers, was born near Slaterville Springs, Tompkins County, NY on the first day of August, 1842. The foundation for a splendid success in business affairs of this man was the acquiring of a food education. He attended school at Dryden and at Ithaca, NY and graduated at Geneva, NY in medicine, afterward taking a postgraduate course in medicine at Belleview College, New York City. Doctor Chambers, entered the practice of his profession at Tioga, NY becoming associated there with a Dr. Henry Borden, about February, 1864. In June of the same year, he received an appointment as assistant surgeon on the 25th day of July 1864, was regularly mustered into service, in the 190th PA Vol. Inf. 5th Army Corps, (known as the ìPennsylvania Bucktailsî), with rank of Lieutenant, commanded by General Warren, serving under Dr. J. J. Comfort, Surgeon, doing work on the detailed hospital service. Dr. Chambers was honorably discharged from the service at Harrisburg, PA, June 28, 1865. Following the close of the War, Dr. Chambers entered the practice of medicine at Watkins, NY where he continued in practice until 1867, when with a desire to better conditions, and with St. Paul, Minnesota, as his objective point, he started for the western country. While enroute for St. Paul, the train on which the doctor was traveling was delayed at Champaign, Illinois. During the time of this delay, he was given time to reconnoiter the town. Being favorable impressed with the place, he forthwith decided to abandon the remainder of the journey, and proceeded to look about for a place to ìhang his shingle.î An opportunity offered, and he became associated with a Dr. Apperson, at Bourbon, Douglas County, Illinois, where he likewise engaged in the practice of medicine. On the 9th day of March 1869, Dr. Chambers was united in marriage to Ann Rock, born April 2, 1845, died January 29, 1930, daughter of William and Nancy (Beavers) Rock.

Following the marriage of this couple, they went to housekeeping in Sadorus, where they lived until the year of 1872. Then they moved onto their farm property 2 miles south-west of the village, where the Doctor took up and carried on the management of the farm in connection with the practice of medicine. He discontinued the practice of medicine in the year 1884. Dr. Chambers was a man of great ability and sterling worth, standing strong for the principle of ìrightî as it was given to him to see the right. As a physician, and as a man, his life has been continuously one of service. Unusually vigorous in mind and body, he has been a splendid example to the people of the Sadorus community. Socially Dr. Chambers was a member of the J.B. Gorin Lodge, No. 537 A.F.&A.M. and the Sadorus Post G.A.R. both located in Sadorus. Politically the Doctor had even been want to favor the Democratic Party, reserving to himself the right, however, to support the ìbest manî for the place. Dr. Jacob George Chambers died November 3, 1921.

Please note that both Dr. Jacob G. Chambers and his wife, Ann Rock are buried in the Andy Rock cemetery.


Back to Lineages Index

Back to Main Page