This information is part of the Champaign County ILGenWeb Project. If you have reached this site by means other than The USGenWeb Project, The ILGenWeb Project, or directly, please visit the main Champaign Co, ILGenWeb site for more information regarding Champaign County, IL ancestors. Please do not repost this information without the express written permission of Celia Snyder.

Champaign County, Illinois

Obituaries - Pg. 18

This page is to list obituaries for Champaign County, Illinois residents. If you would like to share any obituaries you may have, please contact Celia Snyder.

"Sidney Times, Sidney, Illinois, Thursday, April 28, 1932"

Irvin Albert Epperson, youngest son of James and Nancy Epperson, was born on a farm a few miles northwest of Sidney, Illinois, near Deer Station, January 12, 1895, and spent practically his whole life in this vicinity. During the World War he enlisted in the United States army and served eleven months overseas.

February 27, 1919, he was united in marriage to Miss Opal Lynch who survives him. For several years he has been employed as a mechanic in Urbana and Champaign. Through in failing health since last August, he continued with his work until January of this year. Death came as a result of complications induced by his experiences in the war and passed away peacefully at midnight Tuesday, April 19, aged 37 years, 3 months and 7 days. During his last illness his mother's Bible became increasingly dear to him and his favorite verse that he frequently repeated was Proverbs 3:24. "When thou liest down thou shall not be afraid; yea thou shalt lie down and they sleep shall be sweet."

He leaves to mourn their loss beside his widow, one sister, Mrs. Anna Hudson, Fort Morgan, Colorado and three brothers: Edward of Urbana, William of Danville, and Clarence of Sidney. There are also six nieces and six nephews and a larger circle of other relatives and friends. He was a member of the local post of the American Legion.

Funeral services were held on Friday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock at the M.E. Church under the auspices of the Sidney post of the American Legion, with Rev. Alfred E. Linfield officiating. Music was furnished by a male quartet, Roy Youngblood, E. D. Ierriott, V. I. Johnson and Alex Wilson. Burial was made in the Mt. Hope Cemetery.

Relatives from a distance attending the funeral were William Epperson and family and Mr. and Mrs. William Tyler of Danville; Edward Epperson and family, Mr. and Mrs. J. T. Palmer and Mrs. Etta McCormick of Urbana; Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Stewart, Mrs. Ida Stewart and daughter, Miss Grace of Philo; Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Besore of St. Joseph; Mr. and Mrs. Jack Brown, L. K. Jurgensmeyer and daughter, Miss Marjorie and Roxie Morrisson of Homer.

Submitted by Lesa Epperson

Sidney Times, Sidney, Illinois

Good Mother Gone To Her Last Rest - When the Angel of Death came and summoned Mrs. James W. Epperson a sweet, unselfish life had come to a close and only those who had been with her constantly can realize its beauty the more. It is hard to realize that she has passed from the love and life of her relatives and friends for all time.

Mrs. Epperson had lived her life here, knowing nearly every one in the community, and each one, old or young, had some good word to say for the one who was a friend to all. We shall miss her, but she has only gone before and we know full well that however great our loss, it is not to be compared with her gain. She was willing to leave everything with her master, whom she trusted with an unwavering faith, and just as the darkness had settled upon the closing day, this beautiful sunrise and the new life with all its glories began.

As a neighbor and friend, she was kind and generous, ever willing to help as opportunity permitted. In her home she was a faithful wife and a devoted mother, and it was here that she shone brightest. She was a great lover of home life and was deeply attached to the husband and children. Although the family deeply mourn her departure, they rest in confident assurance that with her all is well. But, "A mother is a mother still, the noblest thing alive," and the time never comes when we are ready for the parting with the one we all know to be our truest and most constant friend.

One thing that makes her departure so sad is the fact that her youngest son, Irvin, is in France, serving in the army in defense of his country. She had worried a great deal the past several months over his absence.

Nancy Isabel Joh was born in Preble County, Ohio, February 22, 1853 and died at Sidney, Illinois, January 20, 1919, aged 65 years, 10 months and 28 days. When about eight years of age she came to Illinois with her parents, who settled on a farm near Deers Station and there she grew to young womanhood. She was united in marriage to James W. Epperson at the family home, on March 30, 1879. To this union were born five children. They are Mrs. Joseph Hudson of Colorado; Edward Franklin, William Roy, Clarence Cecil, all of this place and Irvin Albert, who is with the U.S. army in France. They, together with the husband, two brothers, George Joh and David A. Joh of Converse, Indiana; three sisters, Margaret E. Joh and Mrs. Jess Toppin of near Urbana and Mrs. Joseph Deere of near Tower Hill, Illinois, and one uncle, E. M. Detamore of Converse, Indiana, are left to mourn their great loss.

Mrs. Epperson united with the New Light Christian church at Olive Chapel in 1873 and has since lived a faithful Christian life. She was also a character member of the Sidney O.E.S. lodge. Funeral services were held at the M. E. Church at one o'clock Sunday afternoon, in charge of Rev. Ealy of Champaign, assisted by Rev. Robert Grillo and Rev. Otis Pope of this place. Following this the members of the O. E. S. took charge of the services. The floral offerings were many and beautiful. Burial was made in Mt. Hope Cemetery.

How Sweet 'twill be to waken, All pain and sorrow past; To find the Savior near her, Home, sweet home at last.

Submitted by Lesa Epperson


Mrs. Thomas C. Jackson, 100, Rantoul's oldest resident, died at 10:13 a.m. Sunday, December 4, 1960, in Mercy Hospital, Urbana where she had been a patient since September. 28. A Rantoul resident for 73 years, she is believed to be the first person in this community who lived a full century. She observed her 100th birthday Oct. 28 in the hospital. Services will be held at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday in St. Malachy's Catholic Church, Rantoul, with the Rev. Fr. Charles J. Williams officiating, and burial will be in Holy Sepulchre Cemetery. Friends may call at Clark Funeral Home, Rantoul, from 2 to 5 and 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesday. Members of the Altar and Rosary Society will recite the rosary at 3:30 p.m. Tuesday. The parish rosary will be said at 8:30 p.m. Tuesday. The former Miss Anna E. Donaghue, Mrs. Jackson was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Donaghue. She was born October 28, 1860, at Springfield. The family moved to Centralia in 1879 and to Rantoul in 1887. Mrs. Jackson had lived here since. Her father, a railroad man, was sent to Rantoul to serve as supervisor of tracks when the Illinois Central Railroad, after buying the line running from West Lebanon, Indiana to LeRoy, converted the tracks to standard gauge. She was married to Thomas C. Jackson in 1891 at St. Malachy's Church by the Rev. Fr. M. A. Quirk. Mr. Jackson was engaged in the grocery business here from 1885 until he died November 25, 1929. The couple's son, Thomas Sylvester, was associated with his father in the store, one of the oldest business establishments in Rantoul, and managed it until he died in 1955. Mrs. Jackson has a daughter, Miss Gladys Jackson, who made her home with her mother at 346 E. Belle Ave., and a brother, E. C. Donaghue, 89, of 321 E. Grove Ave., Rantoul. She was a member of St. Malachy Church and its Altar and Rosary Society.

Submitted by

RANTOUL -- Funeral services for Mrs. Ella Marsh, 91, former Rantoul resident, were Friday at the St. Mary's Catholic Church, Centralia, Illinois. Mrs. Marsh, who had been ill for several years, died Dec. 20, 1957 in Denver, Colo. Mrs. Marsh was born Sept. 12, 1866 in Springfield, daughter of Edward Donaghue and Anastasia Hogan. The family moved to Rantoul in 1887. Mrs. Marsh and Harley W. Marsh were married in 1888. Surviving Mrs. Marsh are a sister, Mrs. Anna Jackson, and a brother, E. C. Donahue, both of Rantoul, a daughter-in-law, Mrs. Raymond Marsh, two grandchildren and four great-grandchildren, all of Denver. Mrs. Marsh was preceded in death by her husband and two sons.

Submitted by

Margaret Besore Johnson of St. Charles

A graveside funeral service for Margaret Besore Johnson, 94, will be held at noon today, at Mount Olive Cemetery, Mayview, Ill. Born Dec. 27, 1909, in Urbana, Ill., the daughter of Isacc and Grace (nee Kearns) Besore, she died Thursday, May 13, 2004, at her beloved homestead.

When Margaret was a child, her father made a wagon for her. It was pulled by her pet ram named Billy. She was a University of Illinois graduate majoring in Botany. Margaret married Everett "Cracker" Johnson after he proposed to her as she was plowing a field.

In 1935, they moved to St. Charles. She was an antique dealer in the St. Charles area. Margaret loved flowers and farming, and she built a rock garden and fish pond with a waterfall on the homestead property. Her husband, Everett, died in May of 1967.

Contributions in Mrs. Johnson's memory may be made to the Anderson Animal Shelter, 1000 LaFox, South Elgin, IL 60177, to H.E.L.P., 1427 Orion Road, Batavia, IL 60510 or to the Salvation Army, Tri-City Corp., P.O. Box 3939, St. Charles, IL 60174. Arrangements were made by Norris Funeral Home, St. Charles. Friends may visit to express condolences and sign the guest book. For funeral information,(630)584-2000 or

Submitted by: Dick Kearns

W.D. Willfong, Ogden.

Victim Wednesday;

Two Others Hurt.

Walter D. Willfong, of Ogden was killed and Roy Poll of Mahomet was injured seriously about 8:40 a.m. Wednesday in the collapse of equipment in the forge shop of the Clifford-Jacobs Forging Co. plant at Wilbur Heights. Willfong died in Mercy Hospital about an hour after being brought there in the ambulance.  Bcus Vaugh of White Heath, another Clifford-Jacobs employee, was less seriously hurt. Plant officials reported a belt holding a trolley arrangement at a height of about eight feet gave way causing the trolley to fall on the men.  Coroner Dan Wikoff, who investigated, said about a ton of steel fell. The trolley is utilized to carry steel from the furnace to the hammer and from the hammer to the press.  It is held in place by a scaffolding type installation. Wilfong’s helper Poll is a hammerman and Vaughn also is a helper. Severe Chest injuries were received by Wilfong in the collapse of the apparatus. Poll burnt about the shoulders and back.  Was reported in “fair“condition at Mercy. No inquest into the death of Mr. Willfong has been set, pending recovery of the injured men.

The Chariton Leader, Chariton, Iowa
Thursday, December 18, 1907
ABRAHAM UMBENHOWER was born in Champaign County, Ill., July 6, 1843, and died at his home in northeast Chariton, Dec. 12, 1907, age 64 years, 5 months and 6 days, after a three days illness with paralysis. He came with his parents to Iowa, when he was but three years of age, and settled on a farm near Columbia, where he grew to manhood. In August, 1862, when but 19 years of age, he responded to his country's call, and enlisted in the 36 Infantry, serving faithfully until the close of the war.

He was married Nov. 29, 1866 to MARY LADD. To this union were born eleven children, three of whom preceded him to the better land. About fourteen years ago he united with the Coal Glen Methodist Church, of which he was a loyal member at the time of his death. He was a kind husband, a loving father and a good neighbor. He leaves a wife, three brothers, seven sisters four sons and four daughters, beside a number of grandchildren and great grandchildren, and a host of friends to mourn his departure.

Largely attended funeral services were held at the Coal Glen M.E. Church Sunday morning at 11 o'clock, conducted by Rev. Smith, and the remains laid to rest in the family burying grounds.
Copied by Nancee (McMurtrey) Seifert
Submttted by Deb

Obituary- Asahel Bruer
Champaign County Gazette, September 21, 1881

A Pioneer Dead
One of our Oldest Residents passes over the River.

Mr. Asahel Bruer died at his residence in this city, September 14, 1881; aged 89 years. Mr. Bruer was born February 17,1793, in Mason County, Kentucky, where he continued to reside until he arrived at mature age, when he settled in Vermilion county, Illinois, about 1830. Soon afterward he came to this county, where he continued to reside for fifty years.

On August 18, 1813, while yet a resident of Kentucky, Mr. Bruer, then twenty years of age, enlisted in the Third Kentucky Mounted Volunteers, in the service of the United States, as a soldier to repel invasion, at the call of General William H. Harrison. He marched on foot under the command of Governor Shelby, of his native state, rendezvousing at Urbana, Ohio, to Lake Erie, where he arrived in time to hear the roar of the guns employed in the battle between the American and British flotilla, September 10, 1813, and to join in the glad acclaims which welcomed the victory of Commodore Perry over the British.

Mr. Bruer has seen this country since the time, when a part of Vermilion, it contained only a few straggling families and probably less than 300 inhabitants; when its only houses were the rude cabins of the squatters and frontiersmen and the wigwams of the half-tamed Indians; when its roads were Indian trails from one point of timber to another, and blazed through the woods; when its stores were such scanty articles of necessity as the trader felt sure of exchanging for the barter of the country, or such as he could pack upon the back of an Indian pony, and following the redmen upon their annual hunt, trade to them for the trophies of the chase. He has seen all this, and in the evolutions of American life, he has seen too, the same territory a popular county of more than 42,000 inhabitants, all of whom dwell in comfortable homes, and many in abodes of elegance and splendor, crossed by many roads and railroads, over which the commerce and other continents past. He has seen the stores of fifty years ago supplanted by elegant trade palaces, where the elegancies and luxuries of the world are piled in profusion. For many years Mr. Bruer kept here a house of entertainment, and his roof has many times sheltered Abraham Lincoln, David Davis, Samuel H. Treat and Kirby Benedict and many others whose names have since then, been eminent for military and civic services to the country.

The life just begun under the presidency of Washington spans almost the entire constitutional history of the Republic. It enabled Mr. Bruer to participate in every presidential election from that of James Monroe, 1816, to that of James A. Garfield, in 1880. It made him a witness of the growth of the Republic from seventeen states lying on the Eastern border, with a population of 5 million, to 45 states and territories, reaching from the Atlantic to the Pacific, from the frozen North to the Tropics, and embracing a population of over 50 million.

Mr. Bruer was twice married- first to Miss Martha Day, in Kentucky, in the year 1815, with whom he lived to celebrate their golden anniversary, in 1865, and for some years thereafter. The fruit of this marriage was one son and several daughters, with a numerous train of grandchildren and great grandchildren. On August 14,1875, he was again married to Miss Mary Christy, who has been his constant nurse and attendant in the helpless years of his advanced years and who survived him.

Mr. Bruer's funeral took place from the Methodist Church, on Friday September 16, and was attended by a large number of friends of the family. The services were conducted by the Revs. J.C. Long and David Gay, and Judge J.O. Cunningham read a very interesting history of Mr. Bruer's life.

Printed in the Urbana County Gazette 6/22/1870. From Urbana Free Library

At an "Old Settlers' Meeting", held in Urbana in June of 1870, Mr. A. Bruer, being called upon remarked:

"I came here the first of November, 1828. I stopped on the Little Vermilion and taught school one fall and winter. A friend came to me there, and wanted me to go to Newport. I went there and taught school part of a year. I settled first at Powell's Mill and broke ground in 1831. I once got meal ground at Powell's Mill, and on the way home with it, it froze so hard that we had to pound it up before we could use it."

"I had an invitation to come to the Big Grove and teach school. When I arrived here, I thought this was a perfect paradise. I taught school three months at Brumley's in 1832 and '33. I received $2 per quarter for each scholar. Matthew Busey and others persuaded me to stay and locate here. I concluded to do so."

"I left my farm on the Salt Fork in the hands of Charles Davis, my son-in-law. I bought 80 acres in the Big Grove in 1833. I own it yet. I started the first distillery at Powell's Mill on Salt Fork. A freshet [flood] came soon after and carried dam, mill, distillery, and all away."

Submitted by: Jean Davis


Mrs. Ann Riemke Died at Shelbyville Monday Morning

Mrs. Ann Riemke, wife of Henry Riemke of near Pesotum, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Alice Magsam, at Shelbyville, Ill., Monday morning at 7:30 o'clock. She was taken sick while visiting her daughter, and died after an illness of five days duration, leaving a husband, eight children (four sons and four daughters) and twenty-four grand children to mourn her sudden death. Deceased was born in Lancashire, England, Oct. 29, 1834, and at the time of her death was aged 69 years, 7 months and 7 days.

She came to this country with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Thos. Richmond in 1851, and settled in Coshocton county, Ohio. In 1856 they moved to Laporte, Indiana, where she was married to Henry Riemke in 1858, and moved to Tolono in 1860, where they have continued to live since that time.

The children are Henry of Oklahoma; Mrs. Mary Miller, in Witchita, Kansas; Edward, John and William and Mary Lustig of Pesotum; Mrs. Alice Magsam of Shelbyville, and Mrs. Annie Maley of Ivesdale.

During her many years residence to the section she lived in a manner which conformed to all the requirements of a loving wife and mother and a good neighbor, and was held in high esteem by all who knew her, and her death will be sincerely mourned by all her acqaintances. The remains were brought to Tolono, Wednesday morning, funeral services being conducted by Rev. D. A. Kelley at 10 o'clock, after which Interment was made in the Catholic cemetery."

Submitted by: Christina C. Riemke

Obituary from the "Danville Daily Democrat," 14 January 1906

Daniel Newton McQuitty, a former Danville resident, died of paralysis of the brain at 3 o'clock last Sunday morning at the home of his son, Elmer McQuitty, in Broadlands.

Mr. McQuitty was born in Boone County, Mo., 78 years ago, and spent the early part of his life there. Ten years ago, he came to Illinois with his son, with whom he made his home, and lived in Danville five years. He was well-known at Broadlands.

Short funeral services were held Tuesday morning at the home of Elmer McQuitty, after which the remains were taken to Rich Hill, Mo., for burial.

Submitted by Leah McKin

THE RANTOUL WEEKLY, Rantoul, Illinois, Wednesday, February 23, 1916
Edward Donoghue Expires at Age of Eighty-Six Years - Funeral is Held Friday

Edward Donoghue, a highly respected resident of this city for the past thirty years, died on last Wednesday shortly after the noon hour, after an illness of extended duration. Although he had been in feeble health for several years, he was able to be up a great deal of the time and had only been bedfast for the past few weeks. Deceased was born in Ireland 86 years ago last July. At the age of 17 years he came to this country and took up his residence at Springfield. From Sprinfield he went to Centralia where he resided for some time. While residing there he was united in marriage to Miss Stasia Kelley of Springfield, more than sixty years agao. For over fifty years he was employed on the Illinois Central railroad system, and for a long time was the roadmaster between Centralia and Chicago. Later he was superintendent of the Rantoul branch, which position he held at the time of his retirement several years ago, on a pension. Mr. Donoghue is survived by his wife and the following children; Mrs. T. C. Jackson of this city; Mrs. Ella Marsh of Denver, Col.; Miss Mossie and Sylvester at home; Miss Stasia of Chicago; Edward of this city. One brother, Michael of Springfield, also survives. The funeral services were held Friday morning at St. Malachy's church, Father Drummy officiating, and burial was made at Holy Sepulchre cemetery.

Submitted by The Genseeker

Funeral Services Held Tuesday for Miss Mollie Donaghue, One of Oldest Residents
Lived Here For 46 Years
Funeral services were held for Miss Mollie Donaghue at 9 o'clock Tuesday morning at St. Malachy's Catholic Church in this city, with Father J. L. McMullen in charge. He was assisted in the services by Father O'Brien, Penfield; Father O'Connor, Urbana; and Father Durkin, Rock Island who delivered the sermon. Miss Donaghue was one of Rantoul's oldest residents. She passed away at her home in this city at 7 o'clock Sunday morning after she had suffered a stroke of paralysis early Saturday evening. She was born in Springfield, Feb. 22, 1857 and was therefore at the time of her death aged 75 years, 9 months and 19 days. She was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Donaghue, who with their family came to Rantoul forty-six years ago. Since that time the deceased has always made Rantoul her home. Pallbearers at the funeral were John McNamara, Henry Kaler, Pat Sheehan, V. C. McAllister, Goerge Berry and J. D. Jackson. Surviving are Miss Stasia Donaghue, Chicago; Mrs. Raymond Marsh, Florence, Colo.; and Mrs. T. C. Jackson, of this city, all sisters; also two brothers, Ed and Sylvester Donaghue of this city.

Submitted by The Genseeker

Obituary from the Centralia Sentinel, Footprints Vol 17, #1: Dated June 23,
1894 - Harley MARSH of Centralia was killed in a railroad accident at Cobden
on the 24th. He was married to the daughter of Edward Donahue. (Cobden is a
small town in Union County)

Obituary from local newspaper:
"Fatal Rear-End Collision on the South Division by Two Freights The south end of the Illinois Central is again the scene of a disastrous wreck, and again death has come to an employee while on duty. At an early hour this morning Engineer Frank McMillan and Conductor Harley Marsh were climbing a steep grade this side of Cobden with a heavy train. They were going not to exceed eight miles an hour. Engineer Sherman Turley and Conductor Parmalee left Makunda eighteen minutes behind Conductor Marsh with a light train, and supposed Marsh and McMillan to be a safe distance ahead. The accident happened on a curve, and Conductor Marsh was standing on the front platform of his caboose on the inside of the curve. His brakeman, Doc Kell, was on the other side. Marsh saw the train coming around the curve at a high speed and told Kell to jump. Doc lost no time in doing so and got out of harm's way. It is supposed that Marsh hesitated about jumping a little too long. An oil tank was next to the caboose, and when the engine struck the caboose he was crushed between the oil tank and caboose and instantly killed. It is claimed that the rear train was going at a high rate and that the crash was terrific. Brakeman Kock got a few scratches, otherwise the boys got off safe. Harley Marsh, the unfortunate conductor, was one of the promising young men of the south end. He has been railroading for a number of years and was quite popular with the company and with his friends. About four years ago he was married to a daughter of Roadmaster Donahue. A few weeks ago he purchased a lot on the avenue on the west side and proceeded to build himself a home. The building is now in the hands of the plasterers and is a modern residence with all the conveniences and comforts of the late style of home building. Whether or not anyone is to blame for this accident we have not learned. It is probably one of those accidents which come when least expected and are in a measure unavoidable. The remains will probably be brought up this evening. The funeral arrangements have not yet been announced."

Submitted by The Genseeker

Obituary from the local newspaper, the Centralia Sentinel

"Mrs. Kate Marsh Called By Death - Passes Away at Home of Daughter, Mrs. J.
L. Davis Today.

Mrs. Kate Marsh, one of Centralia's pioneer citizens, well and favorably known to many in Centralia and the community, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. J. L. Davis, 384 South Poplar Street today. She was born at Fort Erie, West Canada, February 28, 1930, and came to Centralia in 1854, having lived in this city since that time. She was married to R. L. F. Marsh April 26th, 1857. Her husband died in 1867 and a son, Harley W. Marsh died in 1894. She leaves to mourn their loss a son, George R. Marsh, and a daughter, Mrs. J. L. Davis with whom she had made her home for many years. She is also survived by six grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren. Mrs. Marsh was 92 years of age at the time of her death, and was beloved by all who came into contact with her. Her life was a quiet but beautiful one, and she possessed a great spirit of altruism. She was much interested in the welfare of others, though she never participated in any public events because of her age. She came to Centralia in a stagecoach and watched the growth of Centralia with keen interest. To her children and acquaintances she interestingly told of the growth and development of the city of Centralia. She knew the history of Centralia well, having lived a great part of it. She was much interested in civic affairs, and the evening before her death, asked that the paper be read to her. She noted all progressive movements with interest. Her life was a religious one, and she often told of the first Sunday school that was had in Centralia, being held in the old Illinois Central station. She saw the growth of the railroad terminate in this city, and it was with pleasure that she told of the development of the city. Friends and acquaintances of the deceased delighted to hear her tell of the history of the city. Her life, though a quiet one, was well lived, and her loss is felt with keen regret to all who knew her. The funeral services will be held from the residence of J. L. Davis, 384 South Poplar St. Saturday afternoon at two o'clock. The funeral services will be in charge of the Rev. A. P. Howells of Jacksonville, Ill."

Submitted by The Genseeker

The News Gazette
Apr 24, 1978

Edwin Dowds

SIDNEY - Funeral services for Edwin A. Dowds, 50 of Sidney, who was dead on arrival Saturday morning (April 22 1978)at Mercy Hospital, will be at 2 p.m. Tuesday at Freeze Funeral Home, Sidney with the Rev. Ed Nichols officiating. Burial will be in Mt. Hope Cemetery Sidney.

Visitation will be from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. Monday at the funeral home.

Mr. Dowds was born Feb. 21, 1918 in Effingham County, a son of Alva and Rosie Pendley Dowds (Note: this is incorrect his mother was Rosa Pearl Redman Dowds) He married Delphine Campton Oct. 10, 1940 in Effingham Couty. She survives.

Also surviving are two daughters, Wanda Page of New Philadelphia, Ohio, and Alberta Rogers of St. Joseph; a son Dorsey Don of Philo; eight grandchildren; five step-grandchildren; one step-geat-grandchild; his father of Altamont, and three step-brothers.

He was preceded in death by a son, his mother and two half-sisters.

He was in the service station business in Sidney for 22 years. Mr. Dowds was a past member of the American Legion, was a veteran of World War II and had been employed by the Villiage of Sidney.

Submitted by John Page


Mrs. Lida Beck Lancaster, 87, died at 12:15 a. m. Thursday (24 Aug 1950) at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Elsie M. Phillips, 808 West Stoughton street, Urbana, following a long illness.

Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday from her late home.  Burial will be in Woodlawn cemetery with the Renner funeral home in charge.

She was a daughter of the late Walter and Mary Beck and was born in Townsend, Del.,  on Oct 30, 1862.  She had been an Urbana resident for the past 11 years.

She is survived by Mrs. Phillips, a grandson, George Philips, 808 West Stoughton street, a brother, A. H. Beck, Conroe, Tex., and eight grandchildren.

The Champaign-Urbana News-Gazette  24 Aug 1950 p.3

Submitted by Kathy Eaton

Wilson Funeral To Be At Pleasant Hill

LONGVIEW,  Aug. 24--(BSC)--Funeral services for William G. Wilson, 68, who died Wednesday (23 Aug 1950) on his farm north of here, will be conducted at 2 p. m. CST Saturday at Pleasant Hill Methodist Church, north of Longview.

Reverend Waggoner of Seymour will officiate.  Burial will be in the Lynn Grove cemetery, near Sidney, with the Dicks Funeral Home in charge.

The Champaign-Urbana News-Gazette  24 Aug 1950 p.3

Submitted by Kathy Eaton


Elsie M. Phillips, 82, of 808 W. Stoughton St., Urbana, died at 9 p.m. Saturday (9 Mar 1974) in Burnham City Hospital where she  had been a patient for about a month.

Graveside services will be at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday at Woodlawn Cemetery with the Rev. Robe A. Mulligan officiating.  There will be no visitation.  Renner-Wikoff Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.

She was born April 8, 1891 at Bement, a daughter of John and Lida Beck Lancaster.  She was married to George E. Phillips on July 16, 1912, at Champaign.  He died in February 1965.

She leaves a son, George E. Phillips of 808 W. Stoughton St. Urbana;  two grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.

She was a member of First United Methodist Church in Urbana and the Urbana Woman’s Club.

Submitted by Kathy Eaton


Funeral services for Kenneth E. Toreson of Champaign will be at 2 p.m. Tuesday at Owens Funeral Chapel, the Rev. Gary D. Sobel and the Rev. Gayle D. Erwin officiating.  Burial will be in East Lawn Cemetery.

Mr. Toreson died Saturday (9 Mar 1974)  in Memorial Medical Center at Springfield.

Submitted by Kathy Eaton


George E. Phillips, 61, of Tolono, formerly of 808 W. Stoughton St., Urbana, died this morning (20 Oct 1975) at Burnham Hospital.

Funeral arrangements are incomplete at Renner-Wikoff Funeral Chapel.

Mr. Phillips was born in Urbana, a son of George and Elsie Phillips.

He leaves a son, John M. of Palatine, a daughter, Susan (Suzanne) Stohr of Springfield; four grandchildren; and an uncle, Enos Phillips of Urbana.

Mr. Phillips and his father were owners of the Clark Monument Co. of Urbana.  He was a member of the United Methodist Church of Urbana and hadd attended Urbana schools.

Courier 20 Oct 1975

Submitted by Kathy Eaton


Marjorie L. Strasburg, 38, of 904 Scoville St., Urbana, died at 7 p.m. Sunday (19 Oct 1975) in Mercy Hospital.

Services will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday in Wesley United Methodist Church, Urbana, with Rev. R. Benjamin Garrison officiating.

Burial will be in Rosemont Cemetery.  There will be no visitation.

Mrs. Strasburg was born Mar. 6, 1937, in Buffalo, N.Y., to Dr. James E. and Dorothy Wellington Long.  She was married to Peter Strasburg on June 17, 1961, in Buffalo.

She was a graduate of Buffalo (N.Y.) High School and the University of Wisconsin.  She was a member of Wesley United Methodist Church and Pi Beta Phi sorority and was active in the sorority’s alumni association.

In addition to her father of Buffalo and her husband, she leaves two children at  home, Susan and Lee and a sister, Sharon Vinson of Madison, Wis.

The family suggests donations to the Dr. John Schmale Cancer Fund.

Renner-Wikoff Funeral Chapel is in charge of local arrangements.

Courier 20 Oct 1975

Submitted by Kathy Eaton

Gaines Bolinger

HUME — Gaines T. Bolinger, 95, Mesa, Ariz., formerly Hume, died Saturday (Oct 18, 1975) at Mesa.

Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday (Oct 22, 1975) at Hume Christian Church.  Burial will be in Young America Cemetery, Hume.

Visitation will be from 3 to 5 p.m. And 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesday at Joines Funeral Home, Newman.

Mr. Bolinger was born Oct. 9, 1880, a son of Samuel and Mahal Bartlow Bolinger.  He married Sarah Goldsberry May 17, 1903 who preceded him in death in March 1971.

Surviving are two sons, Sam, Mesa, and Oscar, Indianapolis, Ind.; and several grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

The Champaign-Urbana News-Gazette  20 October 1975 p7

Submitted by Kathy Eaton

Sarah Phillips

Sarah May Phillips, 88, of 801 W. Vermont Ave., U, died at 4:30 a.m. Friday (May 9, 1986) at home.

Funeral services will be at 2 p.m.  Monday at Renner-Wikoff chapel, Urbana, the Rev. Wally Krech officiating.  Burial will be in Roselawn Cemetery, Champaign.

There will be no visitation.

Mrs. Phillips was born Nov. 20, 1897, at Washington, Ind., a daughter of Riley and Ella Suit Conour.  She married Enos L. Phillips on May 26, 1917, at Springfield.  He died April 29, 1978.

Survivors include a grandson, Enos Phillips Knox of Urbana; a sister, Irene Naleway of New Prot Richey, Fla.; and five nieces and nephews, Ivan S. Crawford Sr., Leroy Crawford and Mary C. Tanner, all of Urbana, Dolly Boling of Springfield and Helen Atwood of Redondo Beach, Calif.

She was preceded in death by a daughter, Betty Phillips Knox.

Mrs. Philllips was a member of the First United Methodist Church of Urbana, Hope Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star, the University Club and the Fortnightly Cllub.  She served on the board of the Champaign County American Red Cross for many years and was a charter member of the Carie Hospital auxiliary.

Memorials may be made to the First United Methodist.  Church of Urbana or a charity of the donor’s choice.

The Champaign-Urbana News-Gazette  10 May 1986 p.C-5

Submitted by Kathy Eaton



A resident of Champaign county since 1853, George Lee died at 9:53 o’clock Sunday night (19 Mar 1916) at the home of his son, Edward Lee, Vine and Elm streets, Urbana.  Death was due to old age.  The funeral will be held at 1:30 o’clock Wednesday afternoon from the First Methodist Episcopal church of Urbana, with Rev. R. F. McDaniels of Decatur presiding, assisted by Dr. Ac. C. Piersel.  Burial will be made in Mt. Hope cemetery.

The decedent was born on June 3, 1830, in England,  In 1852 he came to New York state where the following year, he married Miss Rose Hamilton.  Shortly afterward the couple came to Illinois.  From Kankakee to Urbana they journeyed by stage coach — as they Illinois Central was only in process of construction.  The couple lived on a farm near Rantoul for several years, and then moved to another farm near Urbana, where Mr. Lee resided until his retirement, 18 years ago.  He then made his home with his son, William Lee, 504 Cunningham avenue, until nine weeks ago, when he went to live with another son, Edward, at whose home he died.  Mrs. Lee died on April 24, 1899.

Surviving him are three sons, William, Edward and George, all of Urbana, and four daughters, Mrs. James Gilmer of Urbana, Mrs. Lizzie Stevens of Danville, Mrs. Rosa Bratchie of Kansas City, Kan., and Mrs. Maggie Cook of Mahomet.  Two children, Mrs. Sarah Phillips, and Hattie Lee, are deceased.  Twenty-nine grandchildren and 27 great-grandchildren also survive.

The Champaign-Urbana News-Gazette 20 Mar 1916

Submitted by Kathy Eaton

Back to Obituaries Index

Back to Main Page