This information is part of the Champaign County ILGenWeb Project. If you have reached this site by means other than The USGenWeb Project, The ILGenWeb Project, or directly, please visit the main Champaign Co, ILGenWeb site for more information regarding Champaign County, IL ancestors. Please do not repost this information without the express written permission of Celia Snyder.

Champaign County, Illinois

Obituaries - Pg. 4

This page is to list obituaries for Champaign County, Illinois residents. If you would like to share any obituaries you may have, please contact Celia Snyder.


Mrs. Mary McMillen died on Wednesday morning at 2 o'clock at the residence of her son-in-law, John N. Barnes, 603 Springfield Avenue. Death was the result of a stroke of apoplexy received on Friday morning of last week, from which time she was unconscious until death. Mrs. McMillen was the last survivor of old Fort Madison, Ind. Her maiden name was Mary Hathaway. She was born in Fort Madison, April 12, 1812, the Indians having driven the settlers into the fort. Mr. Hathaway, the father of Mrs. McMillen went back to his house after some of his household goods and on his return was shot and killed by the Indians. Mrs. McMillen was born a few hours after the death of her father. Mrs. McMillen lived in Logansport, Ind., up until 1856. She was married to Thomas McMillen in 1829. She and her husband were part of a company of twenty-one persons who organized the first Presbyterian church in Logansport. Mr. and Mrs. McMillen were residents of Piatt county two years and in 1858 settled in Hensley township, Champaign county. Her husband died in 1868 and since then she has resided for the greater part of the time with her daughter, Mrs. Barnes. The surviving children are Mrs. Mary Dalzell of Logansport, Ind., W. F. McMillen of Monticello, Mrs. Seymour Marquiss of DeLand, Mrs. J. M. Barnes of Champaign, T. M. McMillen and G. E. McMillen of Monticello and Mrs. Drs. Davis of Farmer City. The funeral service occurred on Thursday forenoon at 11 o'clock at the Barnes residence, Rev. C. N. Wilder officiating. The remains were taken to the Goose Creek cemetery, about four miles northwest of Monticello, for burial.

Mary died January 5, 1900

Submitted by

Sidney Times (IL) 6 February 1914

A Good Man Is Called Home

In the death of John H. Buddemeier Sidney has lost one of her formost citizens. He had been a very successful farmer and about a year ago moved to Sidney. A good business man, honest in dealings and with his charming personality he made many friends and was respected by all. At the time of his death he was director of the State Bank of Sidney and a stockholder of the Sidney Grain Company.

The funeral services were held at the methodist church Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock, conducted by the Rev. Judy.

The text was Phillipians 1:21 "For me to live in Christ, to die is to gain." The message of the comfort of Christ. It is a comfort to live over in memory your experiences with the one you have known and loved. The Holy Spirit will comfort you as you look upon the bright hope of his future and yours.

The minister spoke of the personal charcter of Mr. Buddemeier. First as a man of cheerful optomism. He drew his inspiration from the Infinate and lavished it upon others.

Second. His inherent manhood. His was a superior personality. You felt him, in some respets, to be your superior. He drew men to him by his manliness, by his noble Christian spirit.

Third. He had great faith in God. He held on by faith in God for his own recovery until like our Blessed Lord he was forced to feel that he must drink the cup of death to the dregs. He went home resigned to God's will for him. His last days were full of suffering, but were filled with the ministeries of loving hands and of believing and trustful hearts.

Internment was made at Mt. Hope cemetery under the auspices of the Masonic order, assisted by the pastor Reverend Judy.

Eulogy - Rev. J. M. Judy

John Henry Buddemeier was born in Dectur County, Ind., April 4, 1871, died at St. Lukes Episcopal Hospital, St. Louis, Jan 30, 1914, aged 42 years, 9 months, 26 days.

Mr. Buddemeier was of German descent. His father was born in Westphalia, Prussia, and his mother in Leippe, Germany. His parents first settled in Cincinatti, then removed to Decatur County, Ind., and in 1880 to Sidney township. They were types of high, splendid German character, marked in thrift, in clean moral life, in high Christian principles and in true citizenship. It was from such parents as this that our beloved John Buddemeier sprang. Not only so, but he was a flower in his splendid lineage.

John was nine years of age when his parents settled near Sidney. He finished the course in the Block school. His particular accomplishment was a native genius for scketing pictures. Two sugjects of his pen hang on walls of his home and are prized highly by his family. He was helpful in vocal music. For years he assisted in special music at the Block church and often helped at revival meetings with solos and in choir and chorus. Just before he took sick he had a litle "sing" at home for the men of his Sunday school class, preperatory to the Sunday School rally-day program. The last song of the night was, "Welcome For Me."

Another more private attainment of Mr. Buddemeier was his genius for conceiving and carrying through to the finish any design, plan or piece of work that pleased his purpose. He had correct judgement in design and mechanism. My attention was first called to this in a casual way when Brother Buddemeier and Brother Sim Bussey met the other members of the committee at the parsonage "to plan" for the building cistern. I noticed the mechanical exactness with which Brother Buddemeier placed the stakes that marked the bounds of the cistern. If he had been a civil engineer and had been trained for that work he would have figured on mammoth contracts and would have made good. If he had been an architect, trained, he would have left the impress of a royal heart and hand upon each plan and specification. He would have done this because he had the genius for artistic design and for mechanical accuracy.

Mr. Buddemeier was converted at age 23 in a revival meeting held at Lost Grove church in the fall of 1894. The pastor was Rev. E. Bean. The Buddemeier family attended that meeting 3 or 4 nights out of each week, driving a distance of five miles, and that during corn husking season. At this meeting brothers Sam and Henry were converted and united with the church in Sidney. We say these little meetings do not amount to much, but, dear friends, how about the worth of a revival? Tree boys for Christ. That meant threemen for Christ, 3 kind true husbands for Christ, two fathers for Christ, 3 good citizens for christ.

Mr. Buddemeier was a splendid type of a complete man. His fine, strong body was a tonic to the physical senses of those who had the pleasure to know him in the fullness of good health. His keen, appreciative mind found expression in that open, manly countenance that sharpened countenance of his friends as "iron sharpens iron." But the highest expression of the life of Mr. Buddemeier was in his great brother heart. He drew men to him just by the force of his Christian manhood, this was his crowning glory. He drew inspiration from the unseen and poured it lavishly upon all men. Mr. Buddemeier was married to Miss Fanny Jakeway May 24, 1898. He leaves one child, Gladys Josephine. He was passionately fond of his wife and daughter and was a dear friend to those of his reatives and neighbors in times of sicknes and need.

With Shakespear we cold truly say of John Buddemeier: "The elements were so mixed in him that all could stand up and say, "He was a Man."

At his death Mr. Buddemeier was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, a member of the board of trustees, a member of the Masonic order and was a worthy patron of the Eastern Star. He leaves to mourn their loss a wife, Fanny, one daughter, Gladys, five sisters, three brothers, and a host of relatives and friends.

"There was no death!
What seems so is transitional
This life of mortal breath
is but a subhead of the life elysian
Whose portal we call death."

-J. M. Judy

Submitted by Dorothy J. Schendel

Death of John Cannon (1887)

Died on Tuesday morning, at his home in Colfax township, John Cannon, aged about 60 years. He was born in Province of Connaught, Ireland, but emigrated to this counrty thirty five years ago and had been a resident of Colfax for twenty years. Three sons and two daughters were born unto him, who with his aged companion, still survive him. His oldest son has been township collector for a number of years. The deseased was adevout Catholoc and a citizen highly esteemed by all who knew him. The funeral took place from St. Joseph Church in Ivesdale on Wednesday morning and the remains were interred in St. Joseph's Cemetery.

Submitted by

"I don't know what newspaper this was in or the exact date of the entry. His wife Sarah is also buried in St. Joseph's Cemetery as are at least 3 of his children. The township collector was his son Thomas who was my great grandfather."

Mrs. Elizabeth Jones (7 Feb 1896)

Elizabeth Woodell was born July 17, 1814, in Bridlington, England, and died at the residence of her son, B. F. Jones, near Waukee, February 7, 1896, aged 82 years, 6 months and 21 days.

Her father's family removed to Claremont, New Hampshire, when she was 9 years of age. She joined the M. E. church at the age of 14 years. She was married in 1835 to Alfred Jones, and in 1856 they came to Champaign, Illinois. She was the mother of six children, four sons and two daughters, two of whom survive her, B. F. Jones, of Wakee, and Geo. A. Jones, of Colfax township. She lived a widow for thirty-two years. She, with her youngest son and family removed from Illinois to Iowa five years ago and has since made her home with her two sons. Mrs. Mary E. Roberts, formerly of Dallas Center, now deceased, and well-known to many of our readers, was her daughter. She lived an exemplary Christian life, which came to a peaceful close, sustained by the comforting words oft-repeated, "The Lord is my shepard, I shall not want."

The remains were taken by her two sons to Champaign, Illinois, where they laid her to rest in the family burying ground.

Submitted by Dorothy Willis,

Back to Obituaries Index

Back to Main Page