|This information is part of the Champaign County ILGenWeb Project. If you have reached this site by means other than The USGenWeb Project, The ILGenWeb Project, or directly, please visit the main Champaign Co, ILGenWeb site for more information regarding Champaign County, IL ancestors. Information contained here was submitted by Judy Simpson. Please do not repost this information without the express written permission of Celia Snyder.|
Champaign County, Illinois
History of Scott Township
Scott township comprises town 19, range 7, and is bounded on the north by Mahomet, on the east by Champaign, on the south by Colfax, and on the west by Piatt county. This township is composed almost entirely of prairie, and is generally level, with the exception of the north-western and western parts, where it becomes more rolling.
The only timber in the township is a small cluster of trees in the extreme north-western corner. The only stream worth mention is the Camp creek, which flows across the north-western corner.
This township formerly composed the south half of Mahomet, was separated in 1861, and given the name of Scott, in honor of Gen. Winfield Scott, of military fame.
The first settler within the limits of the township was, Isaac Williams, who came from Ohio in 1835, and located in the grove in the extreme northwestern corner, on section six. F. G. Seymour lives on the farm at present.
Mr. Williams built the first house of logs. He also planted an orchard, which is still bearing. He is now living in Piatt county.
About this time a man by the name of Benjamin Riser, came and settled near Williams, but soon after removed to California. Samuel Koogler came some time after this and located where he still lives. Thomas Mallory, who had been living just across the line in Piatt county, moved out upon the prairie near Koogler's.
After this the settlers began coming more numerously, and within the next few years, John Loney, Robert Easterday, Tilbury N. Christy, M. Kesler, A. G. Ruh1, McConneyhay, Hull, Wm. and Joseph Greenley, F. G. Seymour, Ben. Gray, Hiram Franklin, Wm. Dawley, Collins, Canby, A. S. Scott, James Davis, Robert Johnson, B. F. Cresap, Thomas Branch, McQueen, and many others settled out on the prairie, and many of them still remain, and have become prominent as farmers and stock raisers.
A large portion of the population is composed of Irish, with some Germans, and the remainder American; principally from Kentucky and Virginia.
The first school-house was erected in 1857, near Samuel Koogler's. Prior to this, the children were sent to school in the Harris district in Mahomet township. An Englishman, by the name of Berry, used to teach, and "board round." Among the first preachers were, Sales, Reed, Buckner, Hanna, Borten and others. The first meetings were held in the Harris school-house, or at private houses. The first church organization was effected by the Methodists.
The Methodists have their organizations in the township at present, one in Bondville, one in Seymour, and the other at Whitehall school-house in the southern part of the township.
The congregation at Bondville was organized under the preaching of Rev. Mitchel in 1871. The class met at first in the school-house, but in 1875, a fine building was dedicated. The building does much credit to the members of the church in that vicinity. The above is the only church building in the township.
In early days the settlers received their mail at the Northbend post-office, which had been established on the old stage road.
The extension of the I. B. and W. R. R. passes through this township, and two thriving little villages have grown up in the township.
is situated near the eastern line. The first house was built in 1868, and was a dwelling, erected by Henry Tilbury. The first store was opened by Seth Merriman in 1870. J. M. Tolbert, a blacksmith, commenced business about the same time. In 1873, a school-house was moved to the village. The M. E. Church have a fine house of worship, built some three years since. On account of its proximity to Champaign, Bondville will never be more than a very excellent shipping point for the large crops of grain produced in the immediate vicinity.
The name Bondville was given in honor of L. J. Bond, of Monticello, an officer of the road, and largely interested in the building of the town. A few miles west of Bondville, on the same railroad, stands the village of
Besides the depot, the first house in town was a dwelling, erected by a man by the name of Dean, a blacksmith. Seymour & Co. opened a store about the time the railroad was finished, and are still in business.
Koogler & Cressup, began business as general merchants and grain dealers, in 1875, and are still doing a large grain business. The village contains one general store, and one grocery and drug store.
Although there is no church building in the town, the Methodists have a regular organization, and hold their meetings in the large school building.
The physicians are Drs. Clark and Madden. The population will reach about 100.
Generally, Scott is a rich farming section. A. G. Ruhl, Samuel Koogler, B. F. Cressup and F. G. Seymour, each have large and well improved farms, while there are a large number of smaller farms that do great credit to the township. With a few exceptions the farms in this township are generally small, and well improved.
We acknowledge our obligations for the above information, to
A. G. Ruhl, W. E. Dawley, S. Koogler, T. Mallory, R. G. Seymour,
M. Christy, T. A. Branch and others.
Back to the Township Index
Back to Main Page